Unable to detect device type Smartctl: please specify device type with the -d option

• 2.0 is just the switch from extjs 4 to 5. Most plugins will work out of the box.

I can just urge you to not request backports so that volker can soleyly focus on 2.0 and the jessie upgrade after that.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Many thanks for this fix. I was wondering, am I okay to try applying this patch to Kralizec rather than having to upgrade to Stoneburner? Would I just need to use patch to apply the diff file?
    I'm familiar with software development, but come mostly from a Java and C#/.NET background. I'd love to get into Linux programming and even try out PHP.

My concern is, if I apply the patch and I do an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, the change will be clobbered. Would I need to create a .deb package and then install with dpkg? If I did this, is there a way I can somehow pin the change and stop apt/dpkg from overwriting it? There's the obvious risk here that I might miss other changes/updates though.

I guess I'd like to create my own backport if possible, mostly out of curiosity ;)

Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

you can surely backport it yourself, but I think this is not the preferred way because the changes will be overwritten by any newer package. You can pin the package, but I suggest to upgrade to 2.x. I can not remember for sure but the improvement was submitted via multiple commits and requires various other changes in the storage backend implementation.

• Hi, I have running OMW 2.1.23. When I try to run S.M.A.R.T. test from WebUI i have following command:

Zitat

smartctl 5.41 2011-06-09 r3365 [x86_64-linux-3.2.0-4-amd64] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD20EARX-00PASB0_WD-WMAZA4998025: Unsupported USB bridge [0x152d:0x0539 (0x100)]
    Smartctl: please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

Runing test via CLI with - d sat parameter works fine, e.g.

Zitat

smartctl -d sat -x /dev/sdd

Any ideas? It should be fixed according to eralier posts.

• It read S.M.A.R.T values. There is problem with Openmediavault WebUI and a smartctl call.

In CLI I have output data:

• Offizieller Beitrag

It read S.M.A.R.T values. There is problem with Openmediavault WebUI and a smartctl call.

In CLI I have output data:

I assume the problem is that the device is not recognized as USB device by OMV, thus the required "-d sat" paramater is not added to the command line.

Please execute the following command and post the output here, or better open a new bugreport.

Code
    export LANG=C; udevadm info --query=property --name=/dev/sdd
  • Thank's. Output of this command is:

• I still have the same issue with virtio drives. SMART properties are shown in GUI, but when I try to run tests from the GUI I still get the message

Code
    /dev/vda: Unable to detect device type
    Smartctl: please specify device type with the -d option.

Cant you include a field in the GUI to specify the device type?

Regards,

Norman

• Your Bugtracker report is now solved.

http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1501

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hello

I use KVM and virtio disk. Openmediavault is a virtual machine, in this VM I cannot run smart on the virtio disk.

smartctl --all -d sat /dev/vdb
    Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed: empty IDENTIFY data

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting

I use openmediavault 2.2.6, No problem with data on this virtio disk

any help ?
    sorry for my bad english
    thanks

• I use OpenmediaVault inside a Proxmox VM with 6 physical disks added as virtio drives. S.M.A.R.T does not work, using the -d option does not work either, gives me the same result as post #35.

When I first installed OMV, S.M.A.R.T worked as it should. It was not until I upgraded from Proxmox 3.4 to 4.2 that I noticed S.M.A.R.T no longer functioned.

Now I don't know if its because of the Proxmox upgrade, I only noticed it since I had to reattach the physical drives again since their IDs changed. The fault might have been there for awhile before the Proxmox upgrade.

If specify SCSI instead of virtio when adding the drives, S.M.A.R.T works but will sometime hang OMV on boot for some reason.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!