Plex server doesn't run

• Hello, all.

I have not been able to get the Plex plugin to run. Plex plugin version 1.0.10. Just updated today to attempt to get it to work, but no dice.

There have been no log files for Plex created.

When I attempt to run the init.d script, the terminal hangs at the "Starting Plex Media Server: " echo point.

When I attempt to run the /usr/sbin/start_pms or /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/start.sh, I get an "illegal instruction" error when calling ./Plex\ Media\ Server

When I attempt to run ./Plex\ Media\ Server by itself, it doesn't find the libboost-system library file.

There is nothing in the Application Support directory. Didn't know if there should be anthing at this point.

I have tried resolutions from other posts regarding removing the plugin via the web interface and purging, but these did no good (including rebooting in between).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• You should only use normal methods to start plex.

/etc/init.d/plexmediaserver start
    /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver stop
    /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver status

Where did you move your database to???

Purge it:
    apt-get --purge remove openmediavault-plexmediaserver
    apt-get --purge remove plexmediaserver
    userdel plex

Then install again. See if it starts and if not try to start with command above and tell me what happens.

• Thank you for the reply.

I only attempted the other methods after the init.d script wasn't working to try and troubleshoot. I assumed the server should start itself on boot.

The database is in the root directory of my WD Red drive. Well, the folder anyway. Nothing is in the folder at this point. This location is what is listed in the plugin settings tab of the web interface.

I performed the commands you requested, all of which were successful.

After reinstalling the plugin, setting the database directory and enabling the plugin, the start command has left my terminal hanging again at the same point.

My hardware is as follows:
    MB: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+
    Mem: 1GB DDR Corsair (2 dimms)
    IOCrest 4-port SATA II PCI card
    Older 80GB IDE HDD for OMV boot
    (2) WD Red 2TB drives. One is for storage, the other for backup. (Non-RAID setup)
    Running headless, no video card
    (3) various optical drives rounding out the IDE availability

• OK, in the root of you red drive you should have the "plexmediaserver" folder that contains the database and other things. Is the folder there and it is empty???

Give me path to the plexmediaserver folder.

• Ok, The path is something along the lines of /media/eff4edf-3058-48e6-a528-18353808d787/plexmediaserver.

That folder is highlighted teal in output of ls command as well as folder blue text.

Using ls -a to follow the tree from there, there is Library folder and Application Support subfolder. No other files or folders found.

• OK, they do not have an archive of Debian versions that I am finding. You will need to contact Christian Svedin here to try and get an older version:

https://forums.plex.tv/index.p…-media-server-for-debian/

If you get an older version I would purge again via instructsions above. Then install the plugin. Then just purge the plex package:
    apt-get --purge remove plexmediaserver

Then install the old packgage via:
    dpkg -i (packagename)

Then enable the server in OMV's web gui.

Your cpu is 32 bit from what I found on a quick check.

PS- as an alternative in the interim you could try the mediaborwser plugin.

• Ok, thank you.

So if I infer correctly, my main problem is using a 32-bit processor? I had planned on upgrading to a new build for a server, but that will take some time to decide what I want.

Are the current apps for android, PS3 et al compatible with an older version? If not it pretty much negates the reasons for installing it in the first place.

Can this be remedied by running a manual OMV build on Arch?

• Yes, I would think the current client apps would still work ok with the old version, as it is not that old. But you are indeed better to get a 64 bit processor. That cpu is rather old.

No, OMV will not run on Arch.

What country are you in and do you have an AM3 socket mobo???

• I am in the US, and the motherboard I listed is the only one I have at this time.

Yes i built that machine to be my gaming machine in 2001. Was killer at the time. I have been carting it around for various purposes from that time.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!