Power management: is it possible to switch off the screen after booting?

• Hi there,
    i have a question about monitor power management in the console environment: i use my omv NAS together with my PC connected to one screen. The NAS is connected via HDMI, the PC via DVI. After booting omv usually the console is showing "login:". After a while the screen turns black and when i press a key on the keyboard of the NAS, the login screen reappears. Unfortunately when the NAS is showing the black screen, the monitor it is not really "switched off". It is simply showing a black screen. The monitor is still switched on. This is quite annoying because when i turn off my pc the NAS keeps the monitor switched on.

From the behaviour of the NAS (when i press any key an and the login screen reappears) i think there is some kind of power management active. But i would be fine to add somethink like "vbetool dpms off" to that power management script to turn off the screen completely. On the other hand: the screen should be turned on when a key is pressed and console becomes actve again.

Is this possible?

Best regards,
    Bebass

• The monitor is still switched on.

!=

This is quite annoying because when i turn off my pc the NAS keeps the monitor switched on.

When you shutdown your NAS the Monitor should switch to Standby. If you want it to go out completly, get a "Master Socket".

From the behaviour of the NAS (when i press any key an and the login screen reappears) i think there is some kind of power management active.

You enjoyed that feature for many years on your Desktop PC. It's called Screensaver.

vbetool dpms off

According to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=506243#p506243 it seems it isn't that easy on the CLI but the Link may give you an Idea.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• You enjoyed that feature for many years on your Desktop PC. It's called Screensaver.

Yeah thank you, i know what a screensaver is :D
    and believe it or not: same computer, running Wheezy with KDE desktop and even Windows 10 preview switch off my monitor: with power management / screensaver :thumbup:

According to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=506243#p506243 it seems it isn't that easy on the CLI but the Link may give you an Idea.

I also read this. The skript is checking if X is running. I don't have the problem when i have X environment- see above.

I think most of us are headless. Are we not?

I am feeling also headless now, even when the hdmi cable is still plugged into the NAS.
    But to be serious: i think it's worth a thought to use the NAS headless when i have everything working.

• This may sound like a dumb question: Don't you turn off your Monitor when you don't use it? I do that, is this that uncommon?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• It is not a dumb question: yeah, i could turn off the monitor. But somehow it is now a bad habit.
    With Linux you come often to that point: USB3 does not work -> ok i accept USB2, Power management does not work -> ok i go "headless", graphic acceleration does not work -> ok i can live without it.

Before it is getting too philosophical: before i come to the point to accept unsolved problems, i usually try to solve them somehow. But in this special case of the monitor problem, i am thinking if it is really worth to invest the time....

• and here ist the solution ;)

Enter this in the shell to see all graphic cards installed

Code
    for p in /sys/class/drm/*/status; do con=${p%/status}; echo -n "${con#*/card?-}: "; cat $p; done

put something like this into grub config as kernel boot parameter and the screen will turn off about 3 to 5 seconds after grub menu ;)

Code
    video=HDMI-A-1:d

the d stands for deactivate...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!