Best File System for New Build?

• Hello All,

I am embarking on a new build of OMV that will start small: 4 x 4 TB disks, but will eventually expand to about 24 -36 TB of storage ( 6 - 9 x 4 TB + parity drives, of course). Thus, this OMV build needs to have a stable and robust file system now, but one that will allow more drives to be added in the future without going through the process of backing up the and destroying the existing drive array, if that is possible.

I would like opinions from the OMV Gurus here on what file system to use for this application. My understanding is that ZFS would not be a good choice due to the difficulty of adding additional drives, so what would be the best file system to install?

Thanks.

• Small Files? ext4
    Big Files? XFS

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks for the reply.

OMV will be used to store documents, music, photos and family videos. Most files will be under 40MB each, with video files up to several GB size. I don't know if you consider these sizes to be small, large or both.

Small Files? ext4
    Big Files? XFS

Greetings
    David

• Both, stick with ext4 then.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Thanks Tekkb.

What is the downside to using XFS now?

There is none. You can use it for years already...

Greetings
    David

• Sorry if I ask you a question about this thread of 2015, but now I'm preparing an OMV5 with 4x3tb HD for family data, could you tell me or recommend me what kind of filesystem you use now?

Thanks

• For the system drive or for the data drives? That could be different.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Simple and robust: ext4
    If you are prepared to educate yourself in order to use some advanced features like snapshots and CoW: btrfs or zfs

As you are asking, I assume you are not so deep into linux, so I would suggest ext4.

Be aware, that OMV5 is Beta. Current released version is OMV4.

Do you consider RAID? If yes, why?

• I was interested in Xigmanas for Zfs, but the flexibility of Omv is unmatched. I also know Snapraid well, but it doesn't give me much confidence. in fact I was torn between using ext4 with rsync or Zfs. Zfs seems to me to be more stable than Btrfs in a Raid5 type configuration

• I was torn between using ext4 with rsync or Zfs

If you want to use ext4 then I would propose not to use mdadm RAID5. RAID5 is block oriented and if a drive fails always the complete drive must be rebuild. This takes ages with modern drive capacities. Often another drive fails during an rebuild.
    There are a lot of threads here where people have serious problems with it. It is absolutely neccessary to know exactly what to do if a problem occurred. And one should be familiar with the mdadm CLI. Otherwise @geaves is often the last hope in many cases :)
    Raid is not backup. Therefore also with RAID5 you will need an adequate backup solution.

ZFS instead has some advantages by comparison with other RAID techniques. But it is not directly integrated into Linux and OMV. You have to deal with such questions like "which kernel should I use?" a.s.o. And you should also be familiar with some basic ZFS commands and what to do if a drive fails. I personally use ZFS and I am quite satisfied.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• This is exactly my question too so seems pointless to start another thread.

In my case I want to use a RAID 5 array of 8 TB HDDs to store large video files. Default choice would be ext4, but would that actually be a bad choice? What would be the best solution, preferably manageable from the web GUI? What about XFS, or JFS, or something else?

• It really depends on what performance you may require.

If you are familiar with EXT4 and just want a parity function while performance is not that important I'd recommend snapraid. It allows up to six parity drives, setup in OMV is rather easy and you can still access all the data on the datadrives directly as well. And you can add differently sized drives too.

However if you need more performance you may want to take a look at ZFS which especially with SSDs as cache provides great performance for higher cost though and is less flexible about drives.

A classical RAID is not a good idea anymore with 8TB drives. The time it takes to rebuild is so long that the likelyhood of another drive failing is to high. How many drives are you planning to use?

Your questions towards XFS or JFS should be answered by someone with more experience with those then me.

• Thanks. As you say, it appears that RAID is not great for 8 TB drives and also, since it is not possible to start with a single drive and add another as and when required, I have opted to use mergerfs and SnapRAID and as XFS is apparently well suited to large unchanging files, I've decided to use that for these data volumes on my media server.

Hopefully this will prove a good choice.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!