Help, Lost connection to OMV

• I hope someone can help me. Since this morning I could not connect to my OMV box. I usally check my transmission bt progress but this morning I could not see any downloads on the web interface. I navigated via the OMV web gui and there in the transmission BT plugin everything was empty. I thought the plugin froze and I rebooted.
    Since the reboot I could not contact the OMV box via LAN. The device boots because I can log in via its CLI. I cannot ping OMV from my laptop. I thought the port went faulty. For some reason the omv box wakes up from LAN command but I cannot ping the device at all.
    What can be the issue here. I have tried the omv-firstaid cli command and confirmed the ip addresses on the NIC. I even added another NIC to see it that would help but I can not ping either devices.
    Please help..

• So, I put in an empty hdd and loaded a fresh copy of OMV. The lan works and I can open webgui. I power down and put former HDD back. I boot and no connection via lan again. I cannot ping from windows laptop. What the hell is going on. This OMV os is broken.

@omavoss, Yes, I used another cable, no go. I tried to ping router & laptop from omv: it just says:network unreachable.

• Hey,

You can connect to the OMV - machine monitor, and keyboard? If so, please, watch the boot process and pay attention to irregularities.
    Please if you can spot any bugs , you can shoot the boot process and upload the movie?

Greetings.

2 BananaPi, 1 OrangePiPC+, 1 OrangePiPC with OMV 6.0.x

• It seems I lost my NIC configuration. When I run omv-firstaid in the cli, it spits out a lot of errors when I try to change the ip address. How can I trouble shoot the issue further? I also successfully transferred an OS disk to another clean disk using Acronis true image. I did this in a virtual machine environment but I am sure it will work on a real disk. I will test that soon to try and salvage my real OS disk.

• Yes, I checked that. Even when I restored the acronis image from the physical disk to a VM, I could not access OMV via the network. It wouldn't even allow me to change the IP address via omv-firstaid. Some config file that has to do with the nic is corrupt ...

• Yeah, I want to but I got around 150gb pending torrents going. I'm replicating the data as we speak so I can try and resume the torrents on a new installation.

Its weird though, the old laptop with windows & utorrent were more reliable...

• I am sorry to say but it happened again. First Transmission bt stops working. Ping still works. Then when you reboot, you loose all communication to OMV box. I am losing faith in OMV. :thumbdown:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am sorry to say but it happened again. First Transmission bt stops working. Ping still works. Then when you reboot, you loose all communication to OMV box. I am losing faith in OMV. :thumbdown:

This sounds more like a network or network setup issue. I have 9+ OMV boxes running and have never had an issue with networking. What kind of motherboard? What model was the new NIC? Can you post the output of: cat /etc/network/interfaces

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The TP-link is a realtek chipset. Could be an issue. Your interfaces file is the same as mine except for the wol line. Maybe try disabling wol temporarily to see if that fixes the problem?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Realtek drivers are not the best with some chipsets. We always recommend intel NICs. If you are going to use realtek, definitely use the backports 3.16 kernel. Even then, there may be issues.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!