Install of OMV-extras plugin not working - dpkg: error: PATH is not set

• Hello,

I'm new to OMV and I have some trouble in installation of plugins.

Here is the message I have :

A reboot solve the problem, but it comes back after while (between 2 plugins installations sometimes).

My OMV installation is a fresh wheezy installation where I installed manually OMV.

Does someone have an idea about my problem?

Thanks for your help.

Tillstaff

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hard to say what the problem is since you didn't use the OMV install media. DId you install apt-utils? What instructions did you follow to install omv? Did you google the path error? Lots of results.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

After some investigations, I found a log about the failed command.

Code
    Start-Date: 2015-05-02 22:00:51Commandline: apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --auto-remove --allow-unauthenticated --show-upgraded --option DPkg::Options::=--force-confold install openmediavault-omvextrasorg
    Upgrade: openmediavault-omvextrasorg:amd64 (1.17, 1.18)
    Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
    End-Date: 2015-05-02 22:00:53

The same command under ssh/root was ok.

Do you know how the update command is launched through the web GUI? With wich user?

Tillstaff

• Hello,

I tried to update OMV to 2.0.5 version and it's still the same.
    Except I have an error message with more details.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tillstaff

• I answer to myself :

I've got a server in a server provider named OVH with specifi kernels, I choose Debian 7 64 bits for installation then I've done this to have a fully OMV on the server

I follow these steps :

Now I can install all applications I want via Docker !!! YEAH !

• For the main subject of this thread, you are only interested by :

Code
    # Note: Fix issue : "dpkg: error: PATH is not set"
    echo "PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin/:/usr/sbin/:/sbin" >> /etc/login.defs

The you may have to reboot to take effect

• This problem just started happening to me recently and I'm not sure why. Editing login.defs doesn't help. `apt-utils` is installed. Here's what I'm getting from the GUI:

However:

Code
    root@ezra:~# apt-show-versions apt-utils
    apt-utils/wheezy uptodate 0.9.7.9+deb7u7
    root@ezra:~#

And:

This is on a long time install from the installation media. Though I did have to mess with grub after installing openmediavault-zfs. I'm not sure what that would have to do with this error though.

• I encountered the same problem months ago, could never figure it out...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've seen people post about this many times but have no idea what causes it. Never been able to reproduce it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just don't know how the user looses the path settings.

• It seems this problem stems from a bug in setproctitle(): when omv-engined calls setproctitle($cmdName), it overwrites the first 69 bytes of the environment with spaces. This is easy to see by by cat'ing the "environ" file in the /proc entry of the process.

This problem is described here: http://php.net/manual/en/function.setproctitle.php#112003

On my setup, the problem started showing up when I restarted the engine with "service openmediavault-engined restart", as per @SVS's Guide. The terse environment due to the use of the "service" command moved the PATH to the beginning of the environment, causing it to be overwritten upon setproctitle() invocation. When I restarted the engine manually ("/etc/init.d/openmediavault-engined restart"), the larger environment pushed the PATH variable far enough to be spared.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is just odd that I have never had this problem on any of my systems including all the test VMs.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!