Am I getting in over my head?

• I'm 33 and have been a Windows user my whole life. My only experience with Linux comes in the past month playing around with OpenSUSE and Mint in a virtual machine. I'm getting ready to build my first home server for media and I had basically settled on Openmediavault. My brother is trying to convince me to just use Windows Server since I'm more familiar with it. I think OMV might be a more stable and optimized OS for my needs, but there are some things I'd like my server to do that seem like they may be tricky.

First, I want to use a TV tuner to allow all clients to view live TV and also record sporting events. I know of the VDR plugin, but I can't find much information about how to configure it, and my command line knowledge is very limited.

Second, I planned on using this server with subsonic plugin to feed music to in ceiling speakers throughout my home. I have used subsonic for a while in a Windows environment, while this would be my first foray with it on Linux.

Also, while I am getting new drives, I'll also be using existing NTFS drives with media present. If I go the OMV route, I'll set up the server with only new drives formatted to ext4, copy the existing data over the network to those drives, then format the old drives to ext4 and add them to the system before setting up SnapRAID. If I just use Windows Server, I can pop those drives in without issue. (I'm not too terribly concerned about this, but it is something that will be easier on Windows.)

With this is mind, is OMV still my best option? Does anybody know of a n00b's guide to setting up a TV Tuner PVR on OMV? Is there another option I haven't considered somewhere in the middle of OMV vs Windows? Mythbuntu as a server?

• There is no server software that will allow you to do all the things, via plugins, you can with OMV. You are on the right track. It will take a little investment of time to become more familiar with linux commands. Invest the time and you will be happy. This forum is a great resource and should help you to learn much faster than if you were to attempt it on your own.

Good Luck...

Also, while I am getting new drives, I'll also be using existing NTFS drives with media present. If I go the OMV route, I'll set up the server with only new drives formatted to ext4, copy the existing data over the network to those drives, then format the old drives to ext4 and add them to the system

This is exactly how you want to do it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!