Can't enable FTP

• OMV 1.0

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can't enable FTP

I can't enable FTP, I receive "Failed to execute command" when I try to apply the changes.

I don't have a clue about Linux, especially it's command line utility, so please bear with me.

Below are the error details:
      Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'proftpd' start
      2>&1': Starting ftp server: proftpdNAS-T proftpd[27564]:
      mod_tls_memcache/0.1: notice: unable to register 'memcache' SSL session
      cache: Memcache support not enabled
      NAS-T proftpd[27564]: Fatal: PassivePorts: min port must be less than
      max port on line 60 of '/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf'
      failed!
      invoke-rc.d: initscript proftpd, action "start" failed.

Error #4000:
      exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'proftpd' start 2>&1': Starting ftp server: proftpdNAS-T proftpd[27564]: mod_tls_memcache/0.1: notice: unable to register 'memcache' SSL session cache: Memcache support not enabled
      NAS-T proftpd[27564]: Fatal: PassivePorts: min port must be less than max port on line 60 of '/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf'
      failed!
      invoke-rc.d: initscript proftpd, action "start" failed.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc:176
      Stack trace:
      #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(141): OMVSysVInitScript->invoke('start')
      #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(61): OMVSysVInitScript->start()
      #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/proftpd.inc(79): OMVSysVInitScript->exec()
      #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(206): OMVModuleProftpd->startService()
      #4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
      #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
      #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(158): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
      #7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(224): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
      #8 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
      #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
      #10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
      #11 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
      #12 {main}

I've tried this, but had no luck as that package isn't on the site anymore anywhere, nor is any mod-vroot package.

tree wrote:

Reinstall proftpd was no good idea.
      At the end of this idea I reinstalled OMV again - with no success for FTP.

I checked google for the error I had and found in this forum an new package of mod-vroot, compiled an raspberry pi.

Source Code

1. wget http://omv-extras.org/testing/proftpd-mod-vroot_0.9.2-3_armhf.deb
      2. dpkg -i proftpd-mod-vroot_0.9.2-3_armhf.deb

After loading this and installing it, FTP works.

• I just looked at the error again and it tells you why the error is happening. The min port has to be less than the max port in the config.
      omv 4.1.23 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Not sure. I don't use ftp and can't duplicate this in my simple tests. May be worth a bugtracker report.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • If I enable passive ftp first and save then enable FTP I get a slightly different error.

Source Code

1. Error #4000:
      2. exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'proftpd' start 2>&1': Starting ftp server: proftpdraspberrypi proftpd[3186]: mod_tls_memcache/0.1: notice: unable to register 'memcache' SSL session cache: Memcache support not enabled
      3. raspberrypi proftpd[3186]: warning: unable to determine IP address of 'raspberrypi'
      4. raspberrypi proftpd[3186]: error: no valid servers configured
      5. raspberrypi proftpd[3186]: Fatal: error processing configuration file '/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf'
      6. failed!
      7. invoke-rc.d: initscript proftpd, action "start" failed.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc:176
      8. Stack trace:
      9. #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(141): OMVSysVInitScript->invoke('start')
      10. #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(61): OMVSysVInitScript->start()
      11. #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/proftpd.inc(79): OMVSysVInitScript->exec()
      12. #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(206): OMVModuleProftpd->startService()
      13. #4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
      14. #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
      15. #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(158): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
      16. #7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(224): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
      17. #8 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
      18. #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
      19. #10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
      20. #11 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
      21. #12 {main}
      Display All

The post was edited 2 times, last by davidh2k ().

• That error seems to a network configuration error. A guy on the odroid forum added the hostname to /etc/hosts and it worked. Read his post and mine after.

• Pretty sure you don't need the OpenMediaVault line and you can combine the first and last line to:

127.0.0.1 localhost raspberrypi

• So sorry, I didn't reply. I kinda gave up and came back to it yesterday, started from scratch and had everything sorted. Wasn't able to get a dns working, but that's not urgent as I don't plan on accessing it outside of my home network.

Also, I didn't knowingly install RPi, but you never know, I suppose.

The post was edited 1 time, last by GLowstix ().