Raspberry Pi 2 - OwnCloud - How to create another partition on Micro SD card?

• Hello,

I downloaded and installed "omv_1.17_rpi_rpi2.img" on a Raspberry Pi 2 with Owncloud plugin. Installations were ok.

However, I saw that only a part of the size of the micro SD card is used. So, I would like to use the free space to store Owncloud data, etc.

On "http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmediavault/files/" page, it is mentionned that we "Can create another partition on SD card or use usb hard drive for data storage".
    I tried to find information on the forum but nothing on it (unless I am mistaken)

I have tried the raspi-config to expand the partition 2 but it did not work because "root partition is not the last one" (if I remenber well. Maybe due to the SWAP partition?).
    Then, I tried to manually rezise partitions (using the below link) but it did not work:
    http://elinux.org/RPi_Resize_F…e_SD_card_on_Raspberry_Pi

Is there a simple way to create this new partition and make it accessible for Owncloud? Or should I tried the following method?
    http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_…partitions_.28Optional.29

Regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is good that raspi_config didn't work. Expanding the OS partition will not let you use it for plugins. Boot gparted_live on the system you wrote the sd card with. Add a 4th partition at the beginning of the free space. You will then be able to mount that new partition in the Filesystems tab and use it for plugins.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

Thanks for your answers.

Actually, I succeeded to create a partition using this method:
    http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_…partitions_.28Optional.29

In File Systems, following information are displayed:

DeviceLabelFile SystemCapacityAvailableUsedMountedReferencedStatus
    /dev/mmcblk0p1Bootvfat 55.95 MiB 36.99 MiB 18.95 MiDYesNoOnline
    /dev/mmcblk0p2omvext4 3.18 GiB 1.71 GiB 1.31 GiDYesYesOnline
    /dev/mmcblk0p3rrdcacheext4 119.96 MiB 109.48 MiB 1.51 MiDYesNoOnline
    /dev/mmcblk0p4dataext4 25.71 GiB 24.34 GiB 43.93 MiDYesNoOnline

However, the volume cannot be selected when trying to add a Shared folder (only 'rrdcache' is available in the list).

Any reason why this volume cannot be selected?

PS: I also use information of the link below for comparison to what I see on mine
    http://en.jose-crispim.pt/arti…penmediavault.html#p2_3_3

Regards,

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is the problem with following some instructions on other sites that aren't meant for OMV. I assume you added the entry to fstab manually like the elinux site instructed? If so, you need to remove the fstab entry, unmount that partition (if it is mounted), and mount that partition using the web interface.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I would prefer to say that is the problem when this cannot be done directly via the GUI directly for lambda users. Indeeed, this should be more user-friendly instead of using Gparted (even if it is a very good tool).
    I have only tried to find information, and I guess you would agree that it is better than asking without trying something by ourself.

Anyway, I tried to mount the partition /dev/mmcblk0p4 via the web interface before using

Code
    nano /etc/fstab

However, the partition was not mounted. A message was displayed (sorry, I did not keep a record of it).

Maybe I can do another fresh install to get this message again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,
    I would prefer to say that is the problem when this cannot be done directly via the GUI directly for lambda users. Indeeed, this should be more user-friendly instead of using Gparted (even if it is a very good tool).

Lambda users?? The reason it cannot be done via the GUI is that using the OS drive/media for data is not supported by core OMV. You can mount the partition if it exists and it works. The rrdcache partition is just to eliminate logging of errors that happen only when no data volume is found. You could just expand that partition instead of creating a new one. I suppose I could add a boot script that expands that partition to fill the rest of the media...

I have only tried to find information, and I guess you would agree that it is better than asking without trying something by ourself.

That depends on how much you value your setup :)

I would remove the partition 4 and just expand partition 3 instead of reinstalling. Partition 3 is already mounted in the web interface.

• Go idea for the boot script to expand the partition to fill the rest of the MicroSD card.

After doing the following command via SSH:

Then, I was able to mount the partition and create a Shared folder :)

Thanks for your help

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wrote the script. Now, I just need to add it to the images. People may not like the few minutes it takes to resize though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't change core OMV or its plugins. You will need to file a bug report here.

• hi guys,

i would like also make some new partition that was not used on my SD card, i think there will be available 3-4GB...

here is some info about my file systems:

so i would like use the unalocated space for mysql, owncloud...

should i use the mentioned script on running system? or use the gparted? when use gparted, how to boot there on RPi2?

also how to disable rrdcache partition, do i need it on raspberry?

thanks for help

omv 6.0 in proxmox 7.1-10 - AMD Ryzen 1700 - 48GB DDR4 :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need to disable the rrdcache partition. It is just there so a data drive exists and the log doesn't fill up with error messages. You can just expand it. The next image will do that for you at first boot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Take the sd card out and put in a different computer. Boot gparted live on that computer and resize the partition.

• i ment something like trough terminal or putty directly on RPi2...

but its done, SD card resized on another computer.

thanks for help :)

PS: i will create a new thread this weekend about my findnings about OMV running on raspberry pi 2, some OMV features not working like all of the graphs, from cpu to memory and disk usages, I/O info ...

omv 6.0 in proxmox 7.1-10 - AMD Ryzen 1700 - 48GB DDR4 :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

The next image won't require this :) As for the graphs, read this

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!