Disabled Greyhole - Why are my data drives so full?

• Hi,

Having all sorts of problems with Greyhole. I had a drive fail (UUID 75b5...). My greyhole smb share had two copies so data was safe (sort of). The SMB/Share was gone of course. I installed a new drive (UUID f0cff...) but had to make a new SMB/Share. Added the new drive to the Greyhole pool and after a while the drive had a bunch of files on it (according to the greyhole pool tab). Going to the actual smb share and the share was always empty.

Even with the failed drive removed, I could still cd to /media/75b5.../ I have no idea how that can be, but whatever. There is an entry for UUID 75b5... in fstab, but I don't know where it is pointing to. I manually copied the files to the new drive to be safe: cp -r /media/75b5.../Movies/* /media/f0cff../Videos/

Nothing would ever show up on /media/f0cff.../ even after copying.

Finally I disabled Greyhole. Now all my smb/shares work sort of as expected. /media/f0cff..../ has all the data I expected to see. I can browse to all my shares as expected in Windows.

BUT I can STILL go to /media/75b5.../ and all those files which were on the dead drive are still there. /media/75b5... must be linking to one of my other drives because the physical drive with UUID 75b5... is long gone, and I would have thought with Greyhole disabled the linking would be gone too?

Finally, on the Storage/File Systems tab shows weird things to me. It says that my new drive (UUID f0cff...) is 500gb full. There are only 120gb of files on it though.

Either there are a bunch of hidden files that I don't know how to access, or there is weird linking going on.

1) What should I be doing to get back to some normal state? Uninstall Greyhole and see if storage space returns to normal? Manually delete 75b5... from fstab?
    2) any ideas on what went wrong when I tried to replace my failed drive? I thought I did what was required (greyhole -gone 75b5...) but visible data never migrated to my new drive. I kept the same name for the smb share (both old and new were named "Movies").

thanks

• Ok, I forgot about the hidden .greyhole folder.
    So /media/f0cff..../.greyhole has a bunch of files in it. I think I can get rid of those and eventually rebuild my greyhole.

But why do I still have /media/75b5..../ ?

• Okay, last one for tonight.
    On Disk1 (Music share) I deleted the .greyhole directory: rm -r .greyhole

On Storage/File Systems, for Disk1 I'm shown that there is only 128 MB used.
    But the music share has something like 210 GB on it. What's going on?

• Okay, I found out that all the files I was listing were symbolic links, not the files themselves. ls -l showed this.

So the new thing for me here is that with Greyhole, all the files were moved to .greyhole directory. I didn't realize this. When I check file size in Windows, it must be following the symbolic links. Maybe windows has no way of tracking symbolic links.

For some/many people that are reading this, you probably already know these answers but i guess tracking my experience on this thread may help someone else in the future.

BUT I still don't understand how there is a drive with UUID 75b5...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!