NAS with good virtualization support

• Recently I decided to rebuild my own NAS, previously I had an old first generation Celeron system with only 512MB of RAM.
    It would use an average of 200Watt or more... not really good for the energy bill.

Sometimes I would also let my computer run for days because of multiple VM's which where running and couldn't / wouldn't be shutdown. Which was also not really helping since this is an AMD Phenom X2...

So the NAS would have to serve my files, manage my network and virtualize some VM's. And hopefully in the end save some money.

I came up with the following hardware specifications:

• Motherboard: ASRock C2750D4I (Atom C2750 2.4 Ghz Octa Core @ 20W with VT-x support)
    • RAM: Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit
    • PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W (low noise and good efficiency on 10 a 20 percent load)
    • Case: Fractal Design Node 304
    • System disk: OCZ Vertex-2 32GB (already in the old system)
    • Storage disks: 4x WD Caviar Green 2TB (RAID5 - I know RAID5 has a 55% recovery change with disks above 1.7TB) (already in the old system)

Currently I'm very satisfied by the end result, it's very quite, doesn't use more then 80Watt or so. And it's fast as hell :)

Services and Plugins:

• miniDLNA
    • FTP
    • iSCSI Target
    • DNSMasq
    • Nginx
    • WINS Server
    • NFS Server
    • SNMP
    • SSH
    • TFTP
    • MySQL
    • VirtualBox

ToDo

• OwnCloud
    • BackupPC
    • CUPS
    • Network Monitoring

Pictures
    Front View

View Inside

Back View

Placement

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nice system. Should treat you well :)

(RAID5 - I know RAID5 can't recover with disks above 1.7TB)

Why can't you recover disks over 1.7tb?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Changed the post to be more correct :)

Apparently with storage capacities of modern SATA hard drives now reaching 2-terabytes in size, the odds of a read error during a RAID 5 disk reconstruction is becoming unavoidable.

- http://superuser.com/a/349458/87284

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just remember that Raid isn't backup :) I have an 8 drive (2tb each) raid 5 array that I have been using for almost three years. It is 80% full and has been rebuilt a few times due to experimenting. Not saying the calculations aren't right but that is theoretical stuff. There is probably a much bigger chance that you will have a drive fail before you run into that. A few read errors probably won't bother a media collection either.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

My home server has an 8 drive raid5 array that is all Samsung F4 2tb drives. No SSDs in that server. My backup server (QNAP TS-451 running OMV) has 4tb WD Reds.

Soon to be replaced server at work uses four Samsung F4s in raid10. Offsite backup server has three drive raid 5 array of WD RE4 drives. New database server uses SSDs - Samsung 850 Pro.

One server at the school I do work for has four Samsung F4s in raid 10. The other server has two raid 5 arrays of three seagate drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!