RAID 50

• Greetings Community,

I apologize up front if I missed the answer to this question in an obvious place:

Questions:
    I am curious if OMV supports doing RAID 50 or stripped RAID 5 arrays?
    Is this supported/advised against/etc?

Background:
    I have noticed that the GUI interface has no problem with you creating two separate RAID 5 arrays, and then selecting both of those in a 3rd stripped array. I can imagine that there should be some performance increase, similar to the way ZFS does its vdevs. I have been looking for threads that discuss this or the physical disk limit for arrays. I looked through the RAID configuration section of the manual and didn't really see anything either. Is OMV limited only by MDADM? I haven't read everything on that yet.

I couldn't figure out how to add more than 8 or 10 disks to a RAID 10 array, and wondered if there was a limit, and if there is, I wonder if using RAID 50 or stripping across multiple RAID5/6 arrays would be a good way to get around that. Also, if you wanted to have a boat load of physical disks, most people accept that you shouldn't have an array with more than so many disks, otherwise it's less than optimal or there's greater risk for multiple disk failures in the array. Splitting into multiple arrays is the best way to mitigate that risk.

Thoughts?
    Anyone doing this in production?

For the OMV team/devs: This is an amazing project, simple to use, slick interface. Nice job.

(Question above applies to future deployment)
    Test System:
    Using OMV 1.19 (fully patched)
    HP DL 380 G4 / Intel Zeon 2.4 / 6GB RAM
    Dual Broadcom NIC
    72GB Ultra320 system drive
    5x72GB Ultra320 for RAID5/6

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had no problem creating a 12 drive raid 10 array in the web interface.

As far as I can tell, mdadm can't make a single array raid 50 array. It has to created just like you did in the web interface.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!