\\hostname doesn't work, doubled AUFS share paths

• I'm trying to migrate from unRAID; I had experimented with Ubuntu Server and gotten drive pooling and SMB working but decided I wanted to try OMV just because it would be nice to have the integrated GUI.

Note: My router's static IP config for the PC running unRAID/OMV has hostname CRUSHINATOR, so regardless of what I put in OMV's hostname, Windows always sees CRUSHINATOR in the network neighborhood.

(1) Trying to open CRUSHINATOR in the network neighborhood...

Zitat

Windows cannot access \\CRUSHINATOR
    Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network.

or entering \\crushinator does not work:

Zitat

The specified network name is no longer available.

The only thing that works is IP: \\192.168.1.100. Not sure why; this worked when I manually configured SMB in Ubuntu (ie. there was no confusion from when the system was previously booted into unRAID with the same SMB name, my mapped drives still worked). It's possible/probably that OMV isn't being seen in the network neighborhood at all and Windows is just keeping Crushinator in the list due to the router static IP/hostname definition.

(2) In Ubuntu and unRAID, I was able to pool my drives as \\CRUSHINATOR\TV Series. In OMV, I'm not allowed to use a space in the SMB share name, and (3) I don't see a way, using the GUI, to keep the system from doubling up the path:

AUFS pools the drives as TV Series
    SMB shares it as TVSeries
    Resulting in a share of (since \\crushinator isn't working) \\192.168.1.100\TVSeries\TV Series.

I don't want to edit files manually, since you're not supposed to with OMV but I get the impression I will have to in order to keep things as they were.

OMV configured /etc/samba/smb.conf as:

Code
    [TVSeries]
    comment = TV Series
    path = /media/4b63ba11-b720-4cb1-9047-b6f1bbe941cd//

I changed that to:

Code
    [TV Series]
    comment = TV Series
    path = /media/4b63ba11-b720-4cb1-9047-b6f1bbe941cd/TV Series/

And now the file share is the same as it was under unRAID (Slackware based) and Ubuntu. The GUI does not read the smb.conf file, even after a reboot, so it still displays the old information, unfortunately.

Edit: Changing anything in the Settings tab of SMB/CIFS will cause the modifications to be overwritten by OMV's values.

I still don't know how to get \\Crushinator to work. :/

Thanks for any advice,
    ...Donovan

• Is Crushinator pingable? Does it resolve to 192.168.1.100?
    Otherwise, you have DNS-Problems...

HTH

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Sure is.

• FYI, neither of these two shares are currently configured in OMV.

The PC I'm currently only has those two drives mapped but as it's a new system, I haven't mapped them all on this PC yet (another PC has the other drives, like TV Series, mapped as well - decided to check there as well but \\crushinator doesn't work there either).

When I was playing with Ubuntu, these same drive mappings were able to connect without being altered, regardless if I was booted into unRAID or Ubuntu, as they were both configured with the same share names. Regardless, I decided to reboot back into unRAID, as Windows wouldn't let me delete the mapped drives due to not being able to connect. After deleting the mapped drives:

Zitat

C:\Windows\system32>net use
    New connections will be remembered.

There are no entries in the list.

Now when I try to open CRUSHINATOR in Network Neighborhood or via \\crushinator, a window opens with a single folder, TV Series. Aha, so it's working now? Well, almost. Now Windows says it cannot access \\Crushinator\TV Series.

I tried letting OMV override the Samba config again but same error. I restarted OMV and the error I get now indicates it's a permissions error.

Zitat

You do not have permission to access \\CRUSHINATOR\TVSeries

The user I'm logged into Windows with is listed in OMV but I am obviously missing something. Rechecking my configuration, I am unable to figure it out.

Zitat

Access Rights Management > User > Name: Donovan, Groups: Users
    Access Rights Management > Shared Folders > Name: TVSeries, Volume: TV Series, Path: /, under Privileges, Donovan has Read/Write
    Services > SMB/CIFS > Shares > Shared Folder: TVSeries, Public: Guest allowed, Browseable: Yes

Thanks,

...Donovan

• OMV configured /etc/samba/smb.conf as:

It looks to me that your smb.conf is not generated right. There must be a reason for that. I'll highly suggest a fresh install first. Then check again if OpenMediaVault generates the config correctly.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Okay, I finally had a chance to figure things out.

1) The GUI actually does have an option to correct the doubled-up path names I was talking about; this probably only occurs when using Aufs/Mhddfs. Aufs/Mhdffs gives the pool a name (say TVSeries) and then when you go to share it, you need to specific a share name, again, probably TVSeries, leaving you with \\server\TVSeries\TVSeries\... To correct that, you use Access Rights Management -> Shared Folders -> Edit shared folder -> Path (The path of the folder). So you select TVSeries\ here and now it's just \\server\TVSeries\...

2) Changing hostname in the GUI doesn't work until the server is restarted. I installed the Samba client package and ran smbtree in the console and could see it was still using the previous server name in Samba. The GUI should let you know a restart is necessary here, or at least is for Samba to update (perhaps Samba should be restarted).

3) A combination of either changing the hostname from the previous unRAID server name and removing it from the router's static DHCP IP name OR just changing the name to something different and restarting the server caused everything to start working in Windows (though I restarted it first just to be sure). \\server works and I get no permission errors trying to access all of the subfolders. I changed the server name back to the same name, rebooted and initially Windows kept seeing the old name but after a minute or two, the name in network neighborhood appeared and everything is still working fine. I am not sure what to think here but hey, it's working now.

The only thing I have to manually change to keep the shares the same as the previous server is to modify /etc/samba/smb.conf to add the space back into the TV Series share, as the OMV GUI will not let you enter spaces for that field.

...Donovan

• 2) Changing hostname in the GUI doesn't work until the server is restarted. I installed the Samba client package and ran smbtree in the console and could see it was still using the previous server name in Samba. The GUI should let you know a restart is necessary here, or at least is for Samba to update (perhaps Samba should be restarted).

Would you mind filling a bugreport under http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org with proper information?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!