Can't install GRUB on /dev/sda

• Hey, I am (trying) to return to OMV, bit I run into some problems during installation.

Setup:
    ASUS P8P67-M - LATEST BIOS
    Pentium G850
    8GB RAM
    SATA0 = Crucial M4 64GB (AHCI)

Installation runs smooth until it says "GRUB could not be written to /dev/sda".
    After this I tried this

from here http://wiki.openmediavault.org/index.php?title=Installation
    But it reports "/usr/sbin/grub-setup: Fehler: hdo enthält ein ufs2-Dateisystem, welches bekanntermaßen keinen Platz für einen DOS-Betriebssystemstart bereithält"....blabla

I think it stutters on the constellation of MBR/GPT, BIOS and UEFI.
    I tried to ctreate the installmedia (USB-Stick) with rufus as MBR partition scheme fpr BIOS Computers. In BIOS I changed "PCI ROM-Priority" to "antiqated ROM" (alternative: EFI).
    But it didn't work.
    I also tried to erase the SSD with PartedMagic and create a MSDOS partitiontable. Also didn't work.
    What am I doing wrong?
    What do I need to do, to create the GRUB-Bootloader?

Grüße sheng

• Can you burn an oldschool CD-R? It seems your PC tries to install GRUB into the USB Stick you're using to install your system.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• detach all data disk and keep only boot disk (sda), for my experience grub failed only if try to install whith my data disk connected, once grub is installed, you can atach data disk and all works / boot fine.

• detach all data disk and keep only boot disk (sda), for my experience grub failed only if try to install whith my data disk connected, once grub is installed, you can atach data disk and all works / boot fine.

I have removed all data disks, as it is recommended in several howtos. Only SATA0=Crucial M4, USB= InstallMedia.
    I tried to connect a USB CD-drive and install from that - same issue.
    Then I took the DVD-Drive from my main PC and connected it to the Server via SATA-port to use it as a normal SATA drive - but the same issue again.

I managed to install OMV now, using the LILO boot manager. But I must siwtch to GRUB since LILO is old and not recommended to be still used.

It reminds me on an attempt to install Debian on the same machine. Back then, I only managed to install Debian Jessie while running everything as UEFI. SSD as GPT, Boot settings to UEFI and creating the install media with rufus, using GPT for UEFI computers. Only then I was able to install GRUB. But since the OMV image ist NOT UEFI compatible, this will not work in this case.

• I had the same issue; simply install as you normally would from the USB with all other data disks detached, and when you get to that failure message, there should be an option to cancel or go to the installation menu (I don't know the exact wording). Simply remove the USB installation drive at this time, and choose the option in the installation menu that corresponds with installing GRUB, and it should complete the installation successfully.

• I had the same issue; simply install as you normally would from the USB with all other data disks detached, and when you get to that failure message, there should be an option to cancel or go to the installation menu (I don't know the exact wording). Simply remove the USB installation drive at this time, and choose the option in the installation menu that corresponds with installing GRUB, and it should complete the installation successfully.

OK, I will try it now.

Last question before I reinstall. Should OMV be installed on Disk with msdos or gpt partition table?

Thanks

• Both should work fine.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!