Power off machine, or spin down drives

• Where are the docs for OMV? The documentation page here does not seem to have any content? http://docs.openmediavault.org/index.html

My omv test box is only used once a day as a backup repository. I'd like it to save power by turning itself off or powering down to some idle state for most of the day.

What I could find on this pointed me to the hdd spindown feature. I when to physical disks, edit, and set disk spindown to 5 min, for each of the 4 data disks (in raid 10). They're not spinning down. I don't have APM enabled for those drives - do I need to do that?

Is there a 'machine sleep' setting in omv? That's be even better than drive spinning down. For this test, I'm repurposing an older mobo and cpu and they're kind of power hogs in comparison to newer units. If this all works out as well as it seems to be, I'll migrate the setup to a new box with more spartan power req.

Thanks

• I hadn't seen the standby setting in power management. It worked, but I could not wake the machine by attempting to access the storage hdd on the server, it took a keyboard bump to get it to wake up.

• Is there a 'machine sleep' setting in omv?

Try the autoshutdown plugin. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• OK, thanks.

This stuff is all new to me. There are a lot of things I don't understand, for example on the page http://phpbb.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1289 which is apparently a or the plugin listing page, all point to .4 or .5, and I have 1.9. I went to the github page for autoshutdown and it's basically greek to me.

Anyways unless someone feels a dire need to lead me around what must be obvious to more experienced users, I'll probably figure it out on my own.

I am totally impressed by omv. The featureset is awesome; the UI is very clean and well ordered. Thanks to all of you who contributed!

• See http://omv-extras.org/simple/i…install-omv-extras-plugin

Then you'll find the autoshutdown plugin listed in the plugin section.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Excellent, thank you. For any other newb that runs into this, the omv-extras plugin sprinkles some new plugins into omv.

I had found the "upload" button on the plugin pages kind of strange, thinking I new it's intent but that it should be 'download' instead. But upload makes more sense...from the web ui to omv, the action is in fact an upload to the omv server. I'm not 'on' the omv server.

I'm testing autoshutdown now. I enabled and left everything else with default values. Does it mean that the omv server won't autoshutdown until all devices on the network are off? Or is it more like if the OMV server is not reached out to from any of those devices for the interval, it will shutdown?

What's the diff between hibernation and suspension anyways...I've never know, I imagine it's a matter of degree?

• Autoshutdown isn't working as I expected. I left the default IP range of 2..254 alone at first and it never shut down; one pc was on all night maybe that's why? I cleared the IP range and set the interval to 1 cycle and it did shut down (tips from other threads); but starting the web ui and attempting to reach the storage folder via windows explorer don't make it wake up. I can see from the other threads that this topic can be complex.

I don't even know if autoshutdown can do what I want, which is to put the server into a sleep like state when it's not been actively used as a network resource for x period, and to wake up when a device needs access to the folders it hosts.

For now a simple on a at 8 pm off at 11 pm would do it. I will check to see if there is a feature like that in the mobo bios. I didn't see anything like that in omv, but maybe I missed it. I will continue reading about autoshutdown.

• Autoshutdown isn't working as I expected. I left the default IP range of 2..254 alone at first and it never shut down; one pc was on all night maybe that's why? I cleared the IP range and set the interval to 1 cycle and it did shut down (tips from other threads);

See https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…DME/README_for_script#L31

but starting the web ui and attempting to reach the storage folder via windows explorer don't make it wake up.

Thats a bios setting. If you want it to wake up via request/ping it must be set so in the bios.

and to wake up when a device needs access to the folders it hosts.

See above. Normally you need a Magic Packet to do that.

I didn't see anything like that in omv, but maybe I missed it.

It's called rtcwake and if I remember correctly we have a Plugin for that. Maybe it was included in the WoL Plugin.

Greetings
    David

• I am thinking that the nas will only be used a few times a day; and I think 'at random' so I will probably forget about the rtcwake option, which would wake it up at a specified time (I guess, didn't try it).

So I need the autoshutdown to kick in after no activity for x minutes; that seemed to work. David wrote that WOL might be needed in order wake it up. That might be tricky...while it is possible that the backup software or other software could issue a magic packet before the scheduled backup, I'm not sure what to do when simply trying to access the NAS via windows explorer for archived files etc. Is there any way to configure OMV to wake up on that kind of file request? If not, maybe it'd be ok to simply issue a manual wake up cmd before attempted to browse the NAS contents.

I tried to get OMV to have the hdd sleep but they never have. I have read a couple of threads on that topic here. I tossed the ext4 file system and replaced it with an xfs file system. I enabled option "1 - Minimum power usage with standby (spindown)" for APM; also set spindown to 5 minutes on all 4 of the raided drives; they never did a spindown. Any clues on this? I had logged out of the web ui to omv, and nothing was open in a share.

• Is there any way to configure OMV to wake up on that kind of file request?

Again, this can be done in the bios, if available. ;)

Greetings
    David

• I know it as "Wake by...". ;)

Greetings
    David

• But if I'm not mistaken, a mundane file or folder request does not send a Wake On LAN (WOL) request using a magic packet etc. Or can it? If WOL is the way one brings the OMV nas back to life, I could live with having to issue a WOL request.

Anyone have any ideas why the drives were never spinning down?

• As I said, there are multiple settings in the bios on how to wake, some have more, some have less. Some can be waken via USB activity, others via activity on PCI. So just enable all of them, and the system may wake up by a simple ping/request.

Greetings
    David

• I"m currently using RAID10, and I'm try to find a guide for Physical Disk Properties.
    My OMV runs about 7 hours a day & it shutdown at night time, wake up next day.
    I"m not using Advance Power Management in the Disk section.
    Is there a way I can prevent the drives from spin down?

Thanks.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!