Does my USB Flash Drive have wear leveling?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think it has wear leveling. We generally don't suggest using a usb flash drive. If you are going to use a flash drive, use the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have one of these and I don't think it does either. The specs are pretty skimpy on their website. We should have a thread where people have found sticks that have static wear leveling.

In fact, anyone reading this that is using a stick with static wear leveling give us a link.

• I've been looking into this for a few days, since the motherboard for my new build doesn't have many SATA ports.

I found a Sandisk Support forum item the other day that said all the current product line supports wear levling "through an algorithm". There's similar language on several other vendor's sites. But, I've not found anything to indicate which, if any, are Static vs Dynamic. I don't think dynamic wear leveling is going to get the job done for booting purposes?

It IS possible to find information on which drives use an SSD controller, in some cases the same controllers used in regular 2.5" SSDs. The Sandisk Cruzer Extreme uses the same controller as their Ready Cache SSDs. Corsair does the same thing, apparently using the same Phison S9 series controller as their Force series SSD's.

What I couldn't find out is if the presence of an SSD Controller necessarily equals Static Wear Leveling. If somebody could confirm that it would make things easier.

But I suppose, even in the cases where a 2.5 inch SSD with the same controller is known to have it, it doesn't necessarily guarantee that the functionality is present in the USB implementation?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just use the flashmemory plugin but make sure you clone the usb stick whenever making major changes.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

what are the pros/cons of using flash memory and using the OMV plugin? I'd prefer to run the system on a USB (it's easier, cheaper, uses less power and saves a SATA port) but I wouldn't want to find it doesn't last long or reduces performance...

You already listed the pros of using flash memory. The cons are that it will still probably wear out faster than an SSD or HD but it should last a long time with the flashmemory plugin. Using the plugin actually makes things (like the web interface) faster because it moves logging and other high write directories to tmpfs (ram drive). You could use the plugin with spinning disk if you really want. If your machine swaps a lot, the usb drive would be written too causing high wear. So, just make sure your machine has enough memory for your needs.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!