enabling plexmediaserver makes OMV GUI unresponsive

• Hi,
    Small problem. Kralizec 1.19, Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.16-0.bpo.2-amd64, regular "Apt clean", a dozen plugins enabled

When I [x] enable plexmediaserver plugin and click [save], I get the option to [Apply] or [Revert].
    If I select [Apply] I get the "Apply configuration changes popup http://i.imgur.com/VXeYJN4.png which never disappears. Plex does not start. Plex Settings tab becomes unavailable. OMV GUI becomes unuseable
    I can reboot OMV and then I can [Revert] the changes, disabling the plexmediaserver plugin.

Starting plexmediaserver via shellinabox - "sudo service plexmediaserver start" works fine; Plexmediaserver starts fine within a second and keeps working
    http://i.imgur.com/y4VWlqK.png
    ..until a reboot or until I try to [x] enable the plugin

Enabling plex has worked in the past; I think it got screwed up when I enabled another plugin (sickbeard? syncthing?)
    I've been living like this (with the PMS toggle in the "off" position, and manually starting PMS) for at least a month. This is no life.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This has nothing to do with other plugins. When you enable plex, it checks that the database files are owned by the right user and group. If not, it displays a message that it is fixing them. Depending on the size of the library, it can take a while. If you let it finish, it shouldn't happen again. Not sure why it affects the GUI though. Enable the plugin in the web interface and save but don't apply. Then as root, post the output of: omv-mkconf plexmediaserver

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for your insights.
    I've never seen the message about fixing the database.
    The Plex library must be rather big.

Zitat

Enable the plugin in the web interface and save but don't apply. Then as root, post the output of: omv-mkconf plexmediaserver

there is no output, after 30 minutes, I still see http://i.imgur.com/KTKOtaR.png

all suggestions appreciated

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you change the volume? It might be moving the database (can get large) and then changing permissions.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you select a different volume than initially selected or did you have plex installed before installing the plugin?

• I have only ever had that one volume in OMV.
    So I did not select a different volume.

I wouldn't know how to install plex without the plugin.
    So I have only used the plexmediaserver plugin.
    There's a very small chance I have, once upon a time, uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin in an attempt to solve this problem

Even if a solution cannot be found, I appreciate the effort you make.
    Might upgrading to OMV 2.0 solve this issue? are there additional steps I should take to protect my pms database/library before upgrading when 2.0 is ready?

• nope, I did not.
    I patiently await the updates provided in the OMV update manager.
    I'm not such a cutting edge user that I can't wait a few days, and wouldn't know how to install updates manually.

Should I try to uninstall and re-install the plugin? Or do I risk not being able to start pms and use my current library again?
    Would it be a solution to run "sudo service plexmediaserver start" automatically in some startup script and give up on trying to enable pms althogether?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try the following (as root):

wget http://omv-extras.org/testing2/openmediavault-plexmediaserver_1.0.10_all.deb
    dpkg -i openmediavault-plexmediaserver_1.0.10_all.deb

Then try enabling and applying the plugin from the web interface. This modified versions removes the database moving and permission setting code. This should tell me if those were causing the problem.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• ryecoaaron,
    with the modified version, enabling and applying worked perfectly from the web interface.
    The Dashboard Service status toggle for plexmediaserver is now enabled.
    Thank you.

tekkb,

Update manager now lists 2 updates:
    openmediavault-plexmediaserver 1.0.10
    plexmediaserver 0.9.12.3.1173.937aac3.debian
    Can I install those?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't install the openmediavault-plexmediaserver update. You will just have the same issues as before. The other update can be installed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not really sure how to fix this since your system is one of the only ones that has this problem. We had many more people who couldn't start the service because permissions were wrong.

I guess we need to use the plugin's install location. If someone wants the data on a data drive, the plugin can create a symlink or an aufs pool or something.

• Please, NO.... I would rather go on his system and root out the issue.

I think this happening when ppl create a shared folder at the same time they create a samba share.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is your technical reasoning? You objected to switching the plugins using shared folders and they seem to be having less issues than the plugins using volumes lately. You tell people to symlinks all the time. Why would this not work?

How would a shared folder affect a plugin still using a volume? The plugin fixes the permissions when enabling but is not fixing his.

• Aaron, what I am saying is I noticed that something weird was happening on some people's systems when they created a shared folder while creating the samba share at same time. I noticed this on a couple systems the other day. It had nothing to do with the plugin. It had to do with the root of the drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That would make sense if they created the share after enabling the plugin and then had problems with plex. People creating root folder share folders is the main reason why I said a long time ago switching from volumes to shared folders for plugins would be a good idea and a lot easier to fix.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So you just downgraded him and then it worked? There is something else going on.

I didn't downgrade him. I made a custom version that didn't change permissions when enabled. Since he could start plex (most people having problems can't), I thought it was getting hung up there.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!