my N40L HomeServer

• just got my N40L last weekend ;-D

I've put 8GB Kingston DDR3-1333 ECC in, using the preinstalled Seagate 7200.12 250GB-Drive for the OpenMediaVault OS (maybe I'm going to put another 250GB in for a RAID1 System Volume, I have an SATA2-drive in that size from 2008, do you guys think it would be worth the work to put it in as the drive is four years old?).

Plus I added 2x2TB WD EARX Green Drives from my old NAS (D-Link DNS-323), which were recognized correctly as RAID1 by mdadm on boot! Very good stuff regarding the old DNS-323 was based on an ARM-like architecture! I just had to manually put the RAID-Config into the mdadm-conf-File afterwards to be sure the Mount-Points are the same on next boot...

Yesterday I just configured the Desinfec't 2012 PXE-Boot Environment from c't 15/12 and it worked for my subnet, only thing is that Domains are somehow not resolved correctly, but that seems to be a problem of dnsmasq... I surely will get to know how to handle that too.

Greetz,
    Mike

• weird. I'm using quite the same hardware (N40L with modified AHCI bios) and a netgear WNR3500L router running DD-WRT. I didn't need to activate anything inside OMV, just the WOL enabled in the bios and I can wake up my device without any problem.

• I'm also using my N40L with OMV.

Using the supplied 250GB drive for OMV and then filled the four drive bays with 2TB drives giving 5.46TB of RAID5.

Just ripping all my media to the unit at the moment, taking a while....

I'm not sure what I'm going to use as my front end yet, I have a Popcorn Hour A210 which connects to OMV via NFS or SMB but the default jukebox isn't great. I could use YAMJ etc but having done that before I'm not keen to go through it again.

I have also jailbreaked my Apple TV2 and put XBMC on it just to test the interface on my TV, but limited to 720p and crashes when not using the default skin.
    I might end up getting a HTPC front end to run XBMC properly but haven't decided yet.

Kudos

• Got my HP N40L on Friday been setting up OMV over the weekend and have to say it is a really good distro, the HP hardware for the price is fantastic as well, £100 cash back and a free 250GB hard drive :) can't complain especially with HD prices being so high at the moment.

Still getting used to Linux after a few years of working in a Microsoft based company, but it is all so intuitive and the forums are great sources of information.

I'm using an 8GB USB stick for the OS on the internal USB port as I wanted to keep all the HD bays free, but after installing a few more services than I initially intended to, I'm now wondering if it is worth using an old 80GB HD I have. Anyone been running a few services on OMV for a while and can give me an idea of capacity requirements for running the following : -

miniDLNA
    Samba
    SNMP
    SickBeard
    SABnzbd
    NFS
    Web hosting
    MySQL

Version: 0.3.0.20 (Omnius)
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor
    Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64

• I'm running a relatively similar set of services... samba, NFS, Sickbeard, SABnzbd, CouchPotato and Maraschino. I've also been messing around with Serviio and Subsonic. IMHO, an 8GB USB stick would be fine in terms of capacity. However, USB sticks do have a finite number of write cycles and OMV hasn't really been optimised to minimise writing to the installation partition. No idea if this is a serious consideration, but I ended up just running the OS from the 250GB drive that came with the N40L.

• I used a 8GB usb drive as well and i got an email saying it hasn't backed up in 5 days so i look and my usb crapped out, constant reboot. SO today i have to install OMV on a 2.5 drive i have around. I was already thinking bout do that cause of sluggish and it felt like i was taxing the drive.

HP N40L
    minidlna
    Samba
    CrashPlan
    Daap
    MySQL
    NFS
    OpenVPN
    Rsync
    GreyHole

• I have an HP N40L Microserver.
    Cost £100 after cashback - an absolute bargain for the build quality.

HP N40L
    minidlna
    Samba
    NFS
    AFP

Installed a modded Bios to allow full speed SATA on the top 5.25" optical drive bay (which I use for a removable HDD).
    The modded bios also allows you hot-swap the internal & external (eSATA) HDD (you just have to make sure you UNSHARE then UNMOUNT the drive FIRST from OMV GUI).

I had installed OMV on 4GB USB Flash disk attached to the internal USB port but this kept crapping out every two to three weeks !!
    Then I used a Sandisk 8GB USB - that lasted a little longer but still crapped out.
    OMV is NOT designed to be run optimised from Flash disk and definitely not recommended to run it from flash.

I bought a slim USB-to-IDE 2.5" converter. I had an old (working) 10GB 2.5" IDE HDD and installed OMV on it. It fits perfectly under the top bay HDD.
    That is running fine without any problems.

About three weeks ago, I bought a 6GB CF Microdrive together with a CF-to-USB adapter and installed OMV on that drive.
    It fits (just) vertically on the internal USB socket.
    So now I am running OMV from that microdrive.

All running fine so far (touch wood).

HP Microserver N40L; OMV 6.1.1-1 (Shaitan)

• Zitat von "ItsMe"

macnb whats the uptime now? same performance?

Well it's been three weeks since installing OMV on the microdrive has been up constantly non-stop (apart from a few reboots that I did).

Seen no real change in performance difference.
    May be slightly slow to boot but that does not matter ...it's a server.
    Seen no performance degradation on streaming or hdd access across the net.

HP Microserver N40L; OMV 6.1.1-1 (Shaitan)

• Hello,

I would like to extend my N40L with a USB 3.0 PCIe-Card.
    Do you have any recommendation, which cards fit into the NAS and are compatible with OMV/Debian?

Thanks in advance,
    Tomte

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Tomte"

I would like to extend my N40L with a USB 3.0 PCIe-Card.
    Do you have any recommendation, which cards fit into the NAS and are compatible with OMV/Debian?

It has to be low profile. Most should work but it may take some command line work.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Get into the club here :)

I own the HP N40L and it works great. I had massive problems to install it on a USB disk (grub install failure). So I took the 250GB hd that shipped with the box and installed it into the optical drive bay. That runs fine now and I am very happy with this box for the low amount of money. It is far cheaper then any other buiable NAS solution form Thecus, QNAP or Synology in that performance category.

Performance btw with 4 Disk Raid5, LVM and Ext4 is with some tuning 90 to 95 MB/s without Jumboframes (switch does not support it). So this is absolutely amazing. CPU is ideling all day, so It is time to use it for something different.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Hello,

for USB 3.0, I bought a "Western Digital PCIe Express Karte USB 3.0 - NEC Chipsatz - max. 5 GB/s" with the advantage, that it does not need an extra power supply which is quite helpful for the installation. It seems to work out of the box with OMV, at least my USB 2.0 pen drive is recognized directly.

But I have an other question. I configured the two installed 500Gb HDD with crtl-f as raid 1 system, but still both drives appear separately in OMV.
    Did I do anything wrong? I assume a better performance using the installed raid controller and therefore I would like to use it.

Can anybody give me a hint, please?

Regards, Tomte

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never used the onboard raid but it sounds like they aren't configured correctly. I would use software Linux raid because it is easier to configure and recover from problems. I doubt the onboard is that much faster because it still isn't a true hardware raid.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hello,

thanks for the reply. I have yet another question. If I want to connect a fifth SATA drive (or even more), how do I do this? Do I need an additional cable and where do I connect it to?

A reply would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Tomte

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are actually two more sata ports on the mainboard of the N40L. You need normal sata cables for them. 18" is definitely long enough. You also need four pin molex to sata power adapters.

Unfortunately, the two ports on the motherboard run at ATA33 (slow) if you don't flash a modded bios (google n40l modded bios). I did this and it works great. I have a 2.5" drive for the boot drive in the cd-rom area connected to the mainboard and the four drive bays are RAID 10. You can easily get a 3.5" or multiple 2.5" drives in the cd-rom area.

Otherwise, you can add cards to the two slots. I have two low profile esata cards (one dual port and one single port) that connect to external multi-drive enclosures (one eight bay and one four bay).

• Zitat von "macnb"

About three weeks ago, I bought a 6GB CF Microdrive together with a CF-to-USB adapter and installed OMV on that drive.
    It fits (just) vertically on the internal USB socket.
    So now I am running OMV from that microdrive.

Just curious, where did you source the USB adapter and Microdrive? I wanted to use that internal port for OMV, but wasn't too keen on replacing flash drives every few weeks. I figured a microdrive would work with a USB adapter, but wasn't sure if the price would be reasonable and if it would fit with the internal clearance as it is. Right now I'm using the top bay for the OS but eventually I'd like to put a data drive in there.

• I have an HP NL40 too
    with 8GB NON-ecc ram, planning to move to 16GB
    I was not shure if OMV would have been the right chioce, so I have Esxi5.1 on the bare metal
    Esx works perectly from the internal usb stick
    ESXi snapshops were very usefull whne I messed up OMV several times in order to have some plugin working (exp OwnCloud)
    Esxi5 can now handl huge virtual disk, so I have one virtual diks on each phisical hard drive
    2 of these virtual drive are mapped into a lvm with OMV
    I have a second NL40 (I bought them for my homelab) but indeeed I'm not so confident to use OMV as hypervisor
    some extra feaure we push into OMV are not "native" so I don't think it's safe to use the hypervisor for so many tasks....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!