Supermicro X10SRi-F

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not using that board but I am using a 9211-8i in IT mode. I don't see why a nice board like that would have any problems with it. From this thread, you should use revision 16 of the firmware though.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm having issues. I'm still trying a bunch of different things but here's the short version so far. Bear with me as my mind throws up on this post.... ;)

At first the 3x DELL H310 cards were flashed in IT mode with P19 firmware. sas2ircu would show me two drives on one card, one drive on one card, and zero drives on the third. I tried swapping SAS cables around, moving HDD's etc. No changes. Next, I flashed the newest BIOS and IPMI firmwares to the board and P16 firmware to the cards, and defaulted the BIOS settings. Now the stinking thing won't even POST. It hangs at "DXE--BIOS PCI Bus Enumeration 91". I imagine that this is because of a BIOS setting somewhere. This is my guess based on experiences I've had with an X9SCM-iiF that needs all PCI option ROM's disabled, as well as PCI non-compliance detection disabled for the same cards to work right, and be stable with it.

I'm thinking I just need to find the right BIOS setting to get it POST'ing again. Then after that I need the right combination of card firmware/BIOS settings/card driver/pci-e slot location maybe??? I haven't ruled out hardware issues entirely yet though. Right now everything is mounted in a norco 4224 case. I'm going to try eliminating the SAS cables/backplanes as suspects by by connecting a known good reverse breakout cable directly between the cards and HDD's then see what sas2ircu says. For now I've gotta' get this thing to POST again first...........

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would stick with the P16 firmware for the cards. Will it post with no drives connected? After that, I think SuperMicro needs a call.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I got it to POST finally. Not sure what caused it but I ended up pulling the cards and BIOS battery, then I re-flashed the IPMI latest firmware using the webUI. I made sure to uncheck the two check boxes that allow you to preserve the config settings and SDR entries while doing that.

Now it'll POST and boot the Wheezy netinstall CD but then it hangs for a LONG time during "setting up the partitioner". If I switch to the other tty (ctrl+alt+f2 or maybe f4.. i think it was) and watch the kernel output, I can see a bunch of ata SRST stuff and mpt2sas puking lots of port enable and port reset errors. Maybe the kernel/mpt2sas/card firmware are racing somehow?

Here again my X9 board does weird stuff like this if there's a BIOS setting or two wrong. So, now I'm back to "poking and hoping" with different BIOS settings and card locations that look like they'll affect the PCI-e bus behavior. Hoping that'll shake another apple from the tree......

P.S. I'd love to call supermicro but I've not really been successful getting help from them in the past with stuff like this. I'm somewhat hesitant about it I'd say.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try installing using this iso - uses 3.16 kernel

• Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'll cross the iscsitarget bridge when I get to it. For now I've got bigger fish to fry.......

I installed from the linked 3.16 ISO. After that, I installed sas2ircu from http://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/DebianPackages. Then, I upgraded everything that the GUI presented me with. I verified that BIOS settings are all at their defaults with one exception. That exception being the optionROM setting for pci-e slots 3,4 and 6 which is where the HBA's currently reside are disabled. Oh yeah, I downgraded the cards from P19 to P16 by the way.....

In the attached log you can see a discrepancy between what disks the kernel thinks are there, versus what sas2ircu thinks are there. The kernel sees three, sas2ircu sees four. So, that's the first problem....
    The second problem is that "sas2ircu 1 display" takes about twenty seconds to give me output and generates the "mpt2sas1:" lines in kern.log. "sas2ircu 0 display" and "sas2ircu 2 display" generates the "log_info" lines associated with "mptsas0:" and "mptsas2:".

sas2008LOG.txt

• I'm looking at the log now. You have 2 controllers installed? Any reason for that? I assume you have both installed.

IBM Serveraid M1015 and Dell PERC H200 flashed in IT mode

The 4th disk doesnt appear to be formatted.

EDIT: I think I know why you have two controllers installed now. I could be wrong of course. ;) They may of came with single drive connectors per channel. Might I suggest looking at one of these http://www.satacables.com/12312312312.jpg so you can reduce your controllers by one and support up to eight drives on one controller.

• Zitat

You have 2 controllers installed? Any reason for that? I assume you have both installed.

No, I have three. ????

Zitat

The 4th disk doesnt appear to be formatted.

I'm aware of that. What affect does that have?

Zitat

They may of came with single drive connectors per channel. Might I suggest looking at one of these satacables.com/12312312312.jpg so you can reduce your controllers by one and support up to eight drives on one controller.

I don't really want to use the motherboard controller(s) if I don't have to. I'm already using multilane SAS cables. Is there no other way?

• Can you take a picture and share it so I can see the physical connections? I can help troubleshoot it better that way. Show me the two or three controllers you have and how they are connected to the drives.

• The way that the cables are dressed though the case it'd be hard for you to see where the cables run to and from. I believe that I can explain it well enough to paint you a decent mental picture though.....

Viewed from the rear of the case, from right to left are the motherboard's pci-e slots, numbered one through six. The cards are in slots three, four and six. Each card has an "A" and a "B" port. Starting from port A of the card in slot three, the SAS cables connect to the backplanes sequentially starting from the backplane at the bottom. I've numbered the backplanes one through six from bottom to top.

Essentially, it looks something like this:

#########################TOP OF CASE############################
    Backplane (6) ----[SAS cable]---- Port B of card in pci-e slot 6
    Backplane (5) ----[SAS cable]---- Port A of card in pci-e slot 6
    Backplane (4) ----[SAS cable]---- Port B of card in pci-e slot 4
    Backplane (3) ----[SAS cable]---- Port A of card in pci-e slot 4
    Backplane (2) ----[SAS cable]---- Port B of card in pci-e slot 3
    Backplane (1) ----[SAS cable]---- Port A of card in pci-e slot 3
    ##############Floor of case (where the M/B mounts to)#################

I believe I've ruled out cables and backplane failures as suspects. So far,
    1. I've moved HDD's to different slots in the chassis
    2. I've moved whole SAS cables to different port pairs
    3. I've moved one end, or the other of each SAS cable to different ports on the backplane and card side as well.

No matter how how I juggle backplanes/HDD's/cables around, the output from sas2ircu always looks essentially the same.

Does that make sense? ?(

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!