Asrock Q2900-ITX w/ Adaptec ASR-6405e

• Hi,

my Asrock Q2900 with a software-raid works well, no reason to react ... but in german we have a proverb: Wenns der Kuh zu wohl wird, geht sie aufs Eis!

On the table lies a Adaptec ASR-6405E ... shall I change? Will it work w/ the MoBo? Will it dramatically increase both, speed and reliability? With a better look ...? ;)

Micha

Q29000-ITX
    omv 4.1.8.2 | 64 bit | backport kernel | omvextras

• It is fast, but it does things its own way. If it dies you need to purchase a similar one to recover the RAID.

Do a test, just set it as JBOD (just a bunch of disks), and let the linux kernel deal with the RAID.

I think it should run worse though, as it has only a pcie 2.0 x1 interface.

You can probably find a dumb non-RAID SAS controller for cheap with a bigger pcie interface, then sell that RAID card.

• unfortunately the q2900 only has a x1 slot, this is why i took this controller

Q29000-ITX

• No wait, I'm dumb. that's a pcie 2.0 slot, I was remembering wrong bandwith. :S

That's 500 mb/s up and 500 mb/s down at the same time per line, and that's a x1.

4 hard drives won't really saturate that.

Should run fine even in JBOD, then. It is a bit overkill to run a true RAID controller in JBOD though, better if you use a dumb sata card or (better) a dumb SAS card.

with that controller set to JBOD you can make a 8-drive software raid, btw.

• I want to install it as raid 1, don't know if there are significant differences between hardware and software raid

Q29000-ITX

• No differences on RAID1 afaik. (just test and see for yourself).

Hardware raid is better only if you are making RAID5-6 on a system that does not have hardware acceleration for cryptography/checksums (like that board you have). like AES-NI for Intel or just AES for some AMD APUs.
    Although it's probably not a major difference on this scale.

If you want to use more than 2 drives it might be a better idea to run a RAID5, you get 3/4 ish the space instead of only 1/2 as with RAID1.

• Nice calculation 3/4 of Space with costs for 3 HDs instead of 2 ... ;) just kidding, I understand!

Q29000-ITX

• The fraction varies depending on how much drives you have in the array, I was kinda eyeballing the gains in your specific case where at most you could put 4 drives.

3 drives 2/3
    4 drives 3/4
    5 drives 4/5

and so on. The unavailable space amounts to the space of a single hard drive.

With RAID1 you have half the array space taken up by mirrored data, period.

• Just tested the throughput in comparison:

2 diff USB3.0 Sticks, 1 Sata internal, Raid1 on internal Sata (Asrock MB Q2900) and on on Adaptec 6405e (w WriteCache)

Raid 1 internal from Raid to single HD:30 MB/s
    Raid 1 Adaptec from Raid to single HD: 40 MB/s

Raid 1 Adaptec from Raid to USB1: 60Mb/s :huh:
    Raid 1 Adaptec from SATA on Adaptec to USB2: 100Mb/s =O ->>>> Willllll haben!!!

Grüße aus Berlin
    Micha

Q29000-ITX

• I think there is something wrong in your internal Sata BIOS settings or in OMV settings :huh: .
    I'm getting better read/write speeds than your internal raid and single drives on a Zyxel nsa325 (a rather cheap and weak ARM nas hacked to run OMV).

Also look here, they report 80-100 mb/s of read/write speeds with a board like yours (a weaker processor) and an OMV software raid http://www.technikaffe.de/anle…ter_linux__openmediavault
    See if he gives tips to improve your settings, I cannot read german beyond pre-school-kid level.

The Adaptec isn't faster, it's your NAS that is slower for unknown reasons.

• Don't know if you have a single disk system, i am testing mostly raids ... but i do think so either, that there is something wrong with the settings ... where to start with the testing?

Only thing i configured in the Bios was somthing with ahci, the hds are plugged on 3gb-sata-ports

Q29000-ITX

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mipi ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!