Docker installation dns error

• Hi,

i've the same exact problem...

but the DNS is working correctly because the system is able, for example, to ping google.com ... so i'm not able to fix this.

in my case, the installation is on a usb key (with flash plugin)

There are an other way to fix this problem?

i'm reading about manual installation, but it's clear that usually doing this i will mess up the system... since i'm a beginnner

• more info is needed.

eg: what version of OMV do you have?, what CPU do you use (AMD64 or Arch) ?, etc....

and please post the exact message that is show when you try to instal dockerGUI

• more info is needed.

eg: what version of OMV do you have?, what CPU do you use (AMD64 or Arch) ?, etc....

and please post the exact message that is show when you try to instal dockerGUI

Thanks for the fast replay :)

OMV 5.4.0-1 Usul , installed on a 32gb usb key inside a Hp Proliant Microserver gen8 (2gb ram, intel celeron g1610t)

This is the response when i try to install Docker from the omv-extras menu Gui

Code
    Docker storage :: /var/lib/docker
    Agent port:: 8000
    Web port:: 9000
    Opt-out :: 1
    arch   :: amd64
    option :: docker
    state  :: install
    extras :: 5.3
    DNS error.  Exiting ...
    Done.
  • UPDATE

i've updated the whole system, tried many times to install from omv-extras GUI but the problem remains.

The system is able to correctly ping websites, so the connection seem to work well.

I can't find information about interaction between the scripts of the GUI or an eventually manual installation of docker, or just how to manually install a compatibile version with OMV.

Sorry, i'm a beginner in this beautiful system... i'm reading a lot trying to fix this problems, but without success.

it's possible that a LOCALE configuration problem can generate this DNS problem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

t's possible that a LOCALE configuration problem can generate this DNS problem?

What is the output of: /usr/bin/host hub.docker.com

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What is the output of: /usr/bin/host hub.docker.com

Thanks for the reply!

Here the response

Code
    root@nasone:~# /usr/bin/host hub.docker.com
    hub.docker.com is an alias for elb-default.us-east-1.aws.dckr.io.
    elb-default.us-east-1.aws.dckr.io is an alias for us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com.
    us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com has address 54.164.28.179
    us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com has address 3.212.25.17
    us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com has address 3.221.200.233
    Host us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    • Offizieller Beitrag

And what is the output of echo $? right after running that command? The not found part makes me think it is returning a non-zero return code which prevents docker from being installed. But it also might prevent dockers from being downloaded because something in your networking/dns is doing something wrong.

This is what it should look like:

aaron@omv5dev:~$ /usr/bin/host hub.docker.com

elb-default.us-east-1.aws.dckr.io is an alias for us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com.

us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com has address 3.221.200.233

us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com has address 3.212.25.17

us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com has address 54.164.28.179

aaron@omv5dev:~$ echo $?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• i tried using dhcp and manual configuration:

- dhcp give me the address of the router to be DNS server

- manual i put both the classic 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for DNS addresses, or the router address

but, nothing changes.

here the entire code

Code
    root@nasone:~# /usr/bin/host hub.docker.com
    Host us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    root@nasone:~# echo $?
    • Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of:

getent hosts hub.docker.com && echo $?

getent hosts omv-extras.org && echo $?

• this is the output

Code
    root@nasone:~# getent hosts hub.docker.com && echo $?
    54.164.28.179   us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com hub.docker.com elb-default.us-east-1.aws.dckr.io
    3.221.200.233   us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com hub.docker.com elb-default.us-east-1.aws.dckr.io
    3.212.25.17     us-east-1-elbdefau-1nlhaqqbnj2z8-140214243.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com hub.docker.com elb-default.us-east-1.aws.dckr.io
    root@nasone:~# getent hosts omv-extras.org && echo $?
    64.52.87.112    omv-extras.org

thanks a lot

• Offizieller Beitrag

omvextras 5.3.1 is in the repo now and should fix the issue with the dns check.

• Offizieller Beitrag

what i was doing wrog?

There is something weird with your network that doesn't like resolving hub.docker.com using the host command. Switching to getent hosts works.

• Hi,

Unfortunately same issue with the 5.3.6

Docker storage :: /var/lib/docker

Agent port:: 8000

Web port:: 9000

arch :: arm64

option :: docker

state :: install

extras :: 5.3.6

DNS error. Exiting ...

Done.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately same issue with the 5.3.6

This really isn't a problem with omv-extras. If getent hosts hub.docker.com can't resolve the ip address, dns is not working on your system. What happens if you run the command from the command line?

• I'm getting the same issue. I installed OMV-Extras via root like instructed. Whenever I install Docker it installs but then my DNS is messed up and I can't ping google.com. I have to uninstall Docker via omv-extras in order to do anything that would require outside connections (like pinging).

Zitat

What is the output of: /usr/bin/host hub.docker.com

Code
    jared@ROCK64:~$ /usr/bin/host hub.docker.com
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Zitat

What is the output of:

getent hosts hub.docker.com && echo $?

getent hosts omv-extras.org && echo $?

Code
    Nothing. Returns empty.

Again. I uninstall Docker and reboot and then I can ping and use apt update, etc.

Possibly related to the issue. After running OMV-Extras script whenever I toggle any of the options (Backports, Extras Repo, Testing Repo) and click save there is a long wait time and then ends with a communication error.

Running Armbian 20.8.1 Buster on Rock64

Version 5.5.12-1 (Usul)

Kernel Linux 5.8.16-rockchip64

UPDATE: I started poking around on the dashboard and was going to report back how my system was setup as far as network connections go. However, when I checked there were no longer any network connections under the network tab. I manually setup eth0 again and now seems like we are back in business. It appears Docker install via OMV-Extras is killing network connections for some odd reason.

UPDATE: Appears to be stable. Docker and Portainer both running and able to add other containers.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von jkindred () aus folgendem Grund: Update 1: Adding system information Update 2: Found possible solution Update 3: Seems Stable

• I had the exact same issue, however I didn't know what you meant that you had to "manually setup eth0 again." Finally figured out that I can go to Network > Interfaces, choose eth0, delete it, DON'T apply the changes, then create eth0 again, making sure to enable DHCP for ipv4 in the creation. Then I applied both changes (the deletion and creation), and that fixed the issue for me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!