OMV 2.1 has lost WebGUI connection

• Hello all,

I have the problem that my OMV installation has lost the Web GUI connection. This is happen the second time. The first I've played with the installation and so I thought that I've made something wrong. Because suddenly no connection was possible, neither to OMV nor to owncloud. I've made a new installation and after a few days the same, I restart my server a then no Web access to OMV and owncloud.

The connection to openVPN AS by Web access is possible. Two installed shares (two are active) seem to be working. Plex Web access is working, but there is no connection between owncloud client and server and no web access to owncloud and OMV. I've made a portscan and all related ports are closed. I've made the portscan direct to the server without router between to exclude a faulty router.

I forgot, SSH is possible to. I'made an upgrade to 2.1.1 by SSH connection, hoping that the new version will bring back the connection but nothing happens. I've restarted ngingx, but nothing happens. I've read that this was happened in older versions too.

It is easy for me to do a new installation, but this can't be the solution for the future I think.

Do you have an idea what it could be? The hardware is an HP proliant N40L

Thanks in advance

rasonprof

OMV 2.1.1 stoneburner, 64 bit, 3.16 backport kernel, omvextras 1.29
    HP Proliant N40L, Ram: 8Gb ECC, System: Kingston SSD 120Gb, Data: 4x 1Tb WD Red Raid 5, OMV 2.1.1
    Raspberry Pi 2 with 2 Tb USB Drive, OMV 1.19
    Internet connection: AVM 6810 LTE, Private Network: AVM 7490 cascaded behind AVM 6810, Network for testing and OMV: Buffalo WRT1750 with DDWRT cascaded too.

• hi,

I have a site fore you that you could use http://unix.stackexchange.com/…g-or-not-via-command-line
    I hoop it can help you
    did you try /etc/init.d/nginx reload ?

gr. steel

Cooler Master CM 690 III with 650 watt 80+ gold power supply
    AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    5 x 2 TB WesternDigital red harddrive in raid 5
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....
    don't be afraid of learning it can be fun

• Hi,

I've made a stop/start of nginx a few days a go. There I got an error message, but an error must not mean that the service isn't up. Below you can find this message and the related conf files. Sorry, I don't know what could be wrong. According to your proposal with /etc....../nginx reload, I have made it and I got the same message. Then I've made a /etc...../nginx status, and I receive the message that nginx isn't running. My question is why. I never change something inside the related conf files which are shown below. I will compare it with the older OMV version on my raspi. Perhaps I'm be able to find something. There is a second thing, which I don't understand, the WebGUI of Plex and openVPN AS (client site to download the client software)is reachable.

"Reloading nginx configuration: nginx: [emerg] invalid number of arguments in "proxy_set_header" directive in /etc/nginx/openmediavault-webgui.d/sub.conf:4
    nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed"

I hope I forgot nothing

rasonprof

HP Proliant N40L, Ram: 8Gb ECC, System: Kingston SSD 120Gb, Data: 4x 1Tb WD Red Raid 5, OMV 2.1.1
    Internet connection: AVM 6810 LTE, Private Network: AVM 7490 cascaded behind AVM 6810, Network for testing and OMV: Buffalo WRT1750 with DDWRT cascaded too.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von WastlJ ()

• hi,

Mm can you post the outcome off

Code
    netstat -tulpn

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

• Hi,

here I've made a mistake, before I've only checked the missing ports with netstat -tulpn grep (portno) and not the whole range.
    Below I send the output of netstat -tulpn. The usually used ports, within my installation, of owncloud (8443) and OMV GUI (9443, i've changed it) are missing.

Aktive Internetverbindungen (Nur Server)

Best Regards

rasonprof

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von WastlJ ()

• Hi,

me again.

I've compared the output with my raspi OMV installation and the related ports which I'm missing belong to nginx, which is not running in this installation. Now we have only to clarify why it's not running and why it is silently disappearing. For the moment a safe installation of OMV, on this machine, is impossible for me, because this happens two times.

rasonprof

• Hi,

If i think what the problem is then the nginx path is corrupted.
    I see also that you don't use port 80 as well maybe fore security reasons ?.

you can try to reinstall nginx and see if that will fix it (you will have to use port 80 tho)

fore remove nginx type:

Code
    apt-get purge nginx

to reinstall it type:

Code
    apt-get install nginx

if you don't want to do that you can check if the files are there and accounted fore in the base nginx files list.

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

• Good Morning,

you are right, I prefer the ssl connection. But, inside the other Installation which was disappearing, I was working with forced ssl connection. Inside this one both is possible, http and https. Port 80 isn't be shown, because nginx isn't running.

Today afternoon, I'll reinstall nginx. I haven't made it before, because I was hoping to solve it without reinstallation.

rasonprof

• hi,

Zitat

you are right, I prefer the ssl connection. But, inside the other Installation which was disappearing, I was working with forced ssl connection. Inside this one both is possible, http and https. Port 80 isn't be shown, because nginx isn't running.

this is no problem you can install nginx fresh and change the port after installing it. Just an idea you don't have to use ssl if you have a secure network (admin and password is still required).

Zitat

I haven't made it before, because I was hoping to solve it without re-installation.

did you see if the path to nginx is still there in cli ?.
    try

Code
    whereis nginx

and look at the locations provided

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

• Hi steel2400,

the reason for ssl is that I'm using Owncloud mainly from outside. Usually I do this by an open VPN connection. But as fallback, perhaps openVPN is crashed, I have the dyn accout with a different port no. from the OMV internal. This port in the outgoing router is usually closed and I open it if I need it and for such connections I work with ssl and why should I change between http and https, if I work with tunnelor not. So I have allways https. That is the main intention.

Now to the problem itself. I have done what you've said. I got so much errors after re-installation of nginx and nothing happens after trying to connect that I think it's better to re-install OMV completely. But now I've seen that there is a new raspi image and the OMV 2.1 path in the download section is deleted. My question is, are there so much errors in that image that they hold it back and do a bit more polish it. I don't know it. But I will look, what will be happend inthe download section and than start a new trial.

Ah I forgot, I've had a look for the path of nginx and I mean It should be complete.

rasonprof

• Hi,

I understand the need fore a secure network ;).
    there is one more thing we can try to see what the problem is, can you post the outcome
    off

Code
    dpkg --get-selections | grep apache

just to see if you have that service running or not.

so far as i know is the arml version off 2.1 not ready yet.
    and the exact date off release is not known to me.

Last thing did you see what kind off errors you got wile trying to reinstall nginx ?

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

• Hi steel2400,

the raspi is more a toy for me, I check what it can do for me. To use it as a small server or nas it has to much limitations. For example USB, and Network throughput at the other hand he has a real low power consumption.

Apache I've checked at first. It doesn't run.

Believe it there were to much errors. Therefore I decided to reinstall OMV and then to consider whether the error messages of the two configuration files (.conf :) come, when I restart nginx and I want to see what I did before the problem occurred, in case it should occur again, and perhaps if I have a lot of luck it no longer occurs. If I will see something inside the new .conf files, I'll come back again.

I've had a few issues with OMV. I could fix nearly all. Sometimes by an try and error method.

I will come back after the new installation, but it can take a bit of time.

Best Regards

rasonprof

• Yes it is a great toy to play with, Mine is in the car fore media playback and lots more ;)
    I wish you good luck with this further down the line.

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

• Media playback is one of it's (raspi) jobs at home. I have a few. In the car, good idea.

Have a nice weekend. Hear you perhaps sometimes later again.
    Thank you for help.

rasonprof

• your welcome

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!