Replacing mobo. do I need to reinstall entire system?

• Hi guys,

I was running latest OMV 2.x on ASRock E350M1 and main-board suddenly died. I have ordered already ASRock Q1900-ITX as replacement.

Do I need or it is better to reinstall the system under new hardware or it is just ok to plug hard drives in and run the server? I can manage small fixes if required. I would like to avoid reinstallation because I have already shrunk system partition and made other important partition on same drive. I do not want to lose it during the reinstallation and as far as I know, OMV takes entire drive space by default (not sure why...).

Thank you for your suggestions.

Kind regards,
    Kokos

• No need to reinstall. rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. If that doesn't fix it, run omv-firstaid

omv 5.6.0 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.5.3
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No need to reinstall. rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. If that doesn't fix it, run omv-firstaid

For real? Is just that simple? I´m runing my nas in an old PC(HP Compaq) with just 3Bay for the HDD. Now that my system is optimal configure, I´m thinkign to move my system in to a "new" enviroment, a new case with more bays, new processor and motherboard. Just I was wondering how to do it, without make some crash. And I hope your recomendation works!

Ps: Do I have to make a OMV backup, just in case?

• good to know.

+1 to do this post "sticky"

• For real? Is just that simple? I´m runing my nas in an old PC(HP Compaq) with just 3Bay for the HDD. Now that my system is optimal configure, I´m thinkign to move my system in to a "new" enviroment, a new case with more bays, new processor and motherboard. Just I was wondering how to do it, without make some crash. And I hope your recomendation works!

Ps: Do I have to make a OMV backup, just in case?

I can confirm it did the work just great for me. Thanks a lot, guys.

• Hi, I can confirm this works (just swapped my motherboard and NIC). This is so as within OMV (its database I think?) each HDD's identity (e.g. sda, sdb...) are tied to each HDD's serial number. Same goes for NICs if I am not wrong.

As long you do not reinstall OMV (i.e. format the disk drive containing OMV), these pairings will be consistent regardless of motherboard used.

You still need to run omv-firstaid and then the commands to register the new NIC (and erase all previously used NICs) if using a new one as the OMV installation does not have any pairing related to the new NIC, making it inaccessible from other computers to administrate it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!