USB Backup Plugin - Backup to NTFS Drive

• Recently i made my first backup with usb backup plugin. So during the backup i realised i connected a ntfs drive. So i googled whether thats ok for rsync.

I found out that there is a problem ntfs seems to keep time in even seconds , while linux is more precise, so when syncing a lot of data is falsly copied again.
    So one should add --modify-window=1 "This command tells rsync to ignore filechanges that are only 1 second in difference from the original."

The question is should i add this comand? Or is it perhaps alrdy done by omv when it realizied its a ntfs filesystem?

I would like the drive to stay on ntfs, because incase of emergeny i can quickly start using data fom the external hdd on my primary windows pc.

• Thx for answering, can u elaborate a little more tekkb?

Are there people here who perhaps also use ntfs drives for backup who could voice there thoughts here?

• I sync a directory on my server to a usb stick that is formatted fat32 all the time. I use the usb stick to fix windows systems so it has to be fat32 or ntfs. A native filesystem (ext4, xfs, etc) will allow better permissions and linux compatibility as you have found. I wouldn't use ntfs for backup. If you need to access a native linux filesystem from your Windows PC, you could always boot a live linux distro on it.

omv 6.0.27-1 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.15 proxmox kernel | plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.0.9 | kvm 6.1.12 | mergerfs 6.1.1 | zfs 6.0.9
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!