Virtual users

• Hi,

it's pretty cool that OMV comes with ProFTPD as underlying FTP app. Unfortunately it seems only few of the options that ProFTPD provides are accessible through the Web GUI.
    I would like to use ProFTPD with virtual users and have set up everything accordingly on foot through CLI. Now i found out that OMV rewrites the config file as soon as you restart it. How can i handle a virtual user setup and other stuff that is not accessible by the GUI the best way

• Well the idea is to have a sepearate user base that has no access to whatsoevery services other than FTP.
    The users and their access to the filesystem can be managed totally separated from the OS users and rights.

Now i would probably be able to solve it with internal users although i like the idea of virtual users.
    What i have no idea how to solve using the OMV FTP plugin is some other stuff on top:

- have a group of users that are chrooted in a specific directory (not the home directory)
    - have another group of users that has full access to the whole filesystem
    - have different upload and download bandwidth limitations for the different user groups

Also filerights management seems to be very tricky using OS internal users as i have SMB, FTP and NZBGET accessing the same directory structure with different read and write rights (nzbget writes files that should be read-only by FTP users but read-write by a specific SMB user group etc. etc.)

I have no idea how to get these things working using the provided OMV FTP plugin.
    That's also why i went for CLI.

I would be grateful for any info on how to get this solved.

• Offizieller Beitrag

you run a very specific setup. Don't think you'll be able to achieve that, but you can try. Look in Google for omv environment variables all, see if any of the ftp ones suits you.
    Proftpd is a core component and is not plugable. If you want full control of a proftpd instance I recommend you a docker container from the hub ready to run

• I think you can do this but you will not be able to use the plugin in the web gui. You will have make your edits manually and then start/stop via command line. If you try to enable via the settings in the plugin your edits will be overwritten.

You should also know if you prefer to use another ftp server you cannot. If you uninstall ProFTP it is part of the core of OMV and all of OMV will be uninstalled. I had normally used vsftpd with virtual users. I do not like that I cannot uninstall ProFTP.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!