OpenVPN webgui configuration fails on ARM

• I tried this out on a fresh install on my Rpi B+ with Stoneburner 2.1.19. Once I set my changes and enabled the plugin, it took about +/- 30 minutes for it to complete the initial setup. After that I was able to setup a user certificate.

What I recommend is to try turning off any of the other services you may have running. The CPU usage ranged from 50 to 75% on my Rpi B+ while it was creating the CA and Server certificates. Try applying your settings again and see if it completes. If it does, then go back on turn the other services back on. As an alternative suggestion I would try reinstalling openvpn and the omv-extras package. You can run apt-get purge openvpn openmediavault-openvpn and try to install both again like you did initially. Let me know how it turns out.

• I upgraded omv to 2.1.20 and reinstalled both openvpn and the omv plugin. After a reboot I noticed that the openvpn service was indicated running even though it was not enabled (please find a screenshot attached). I set the options like shown earlier in this thread and enabled the service. After a few minutes "applying changes" I got an communication error in the web gui. Since you mentioned that it took up to 30 minutes on your rpi I am going to let it sit like this for the next hour and see if that helps... ;)

• Okay, apparently it worked. I was able to add an OpenVPN user and download the certificates and .ovpn file. Thank you very much for your help and patience!

However, I was not asked to enter a passphrase for the user key, for instance. Is there somewhere a documentation or a tutorial on how to configure OpenVPN using the OMV GUI? :)

• Glad to hear it's working for you! :thumbup:

However, I was not asked to enter a passphrase for the user key, for instance. Is there somewhere a documentation or a tutorial on how to configure OpenVPN using the OMV GUI?

Currently there isn't an option to add a passphrase through the GUI. It's not needed to use OpenVPN. There isn't guide how to use OpenVPN but using the defaults should be enough to use it. The only field you should need to use is the public address. This would either be your internet IP or use a dynamic dns hostname. You can also add local DNS servers if you run any dns servers. If you're more interested in how OpenVPN works then I recommend you look at their documentation or their forums. Feel free to ask any other questions here too. I will try to answer them the best I can. :)

• Currently there isn't an option to add a passphrase through the GUI. It's not needed to use OpenVPN.

Alright, in that case I will need to use the command line to create my user key files.

Wow, the older models RPis are slow. The RPi2 is decent.

Indeed they are.^^ However, I can't say if it took my rpi 10 minutes or 3 hours. Anyway - the important part seems to be that the process works perfectly fine even though the GUI throws an error after a few minutes. ;)

Thanks again for your help!

• I installed OpenVPN ans OpenVPN AS.

When I try to activate OpenVPN AS I get the error:

Fehler #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'openvpnas' stop 2>&1': invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/openvpnas not found.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc:176
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(148): OMVSysVInitScript->invoke('stop')
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(53): OMVSysVInitScript->stop()
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/openvpnas.inc(114): OMVSysVInitScript->exec()
    #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(164): OMVModuleOpenVPNAS->stopService()
    #4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(158): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(224): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #8 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
    #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
    #11 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
    #12 {main}

I already updated OMV, error stays.
    I tried it before I aktivated OpenVPN and after I successfully started OpenVPN.
    Error stays ?

Do I have to install anything else before the activation ?
    Thanks

• I disabled OpenVPN and purged it afterwards.
    Then I updated OMV with apt-get since I already had the console open.

When I then tried to activate OpenVPN AS, I had the same error as before.

Any idea ?
    Thanks

• Thanks for the info.
    My new NAS is a SuperMicro X11SAE-F board with a Xeon X3 CPU.
    There I intend to use OpenVPN AS.
    I intent to connect Rasbperry PI to them via VPN.
    On the RaspPi I will use OpenVpn.

That should work.
    Any objections ?
    Thanks

• I really like the OpenVPN AS if you are on a x86_64 cpu. You can only use 2 users with it at a time though.

There is some more stuff here on OpenVPN Connect for Windows and Android client setup in case you need it.

Guide Index/Links

I use both of the plugins. I have an RPi 2 at the office to use wol (wake up offce machines) and other things.

• As I wrote before I intent to connect RaspPi to the NAS by OpenVPN.
    I want to use several RaspPi with standart Raspbian to control the home installations via WLAN.
    Every RaspPi is supposed to get its own VPN setup to be able to exclude seperately from the network, in case.
    For that reason I decided to go back OpenVPN and not to use OpenVPN AS with the momentary 2 user limitation.

Today I set up a new RaspPi with Jessie Lite (Debian 8 ) and tried to
    connect it via OpenVPN through WLAN.
    All VPNs are within the private network, so no firewall is involved.

I must admit I struggled on the VPN setup on OMV.
    I played around with it and several questions arose.

What part does OpenVPN play on the NAS ? Is it the server config ?
    Do I need new users for the VPN ? In which groups do they have to be present ?
    What do I have to enter and how will I set up the RaspPi with these files ?
    Can I still use the secure connection to OMV which is used for OpenVPN AS when using it ?

Well, all in all, does anyone know of (a) tutorial(s) describing the setup of OpenVPN on OMV together with OpenVPN on RaspPi,
    specially concerning the connection through WLAN ?
    Last time I tried it on RaspPi the WLAN was disabled imediately after OpenVPN was started.

Thanks for your support.

• The OpenVPN and OpenVPN AS are servcer plugins.
    You can use the users you have already setup or create new users to use with the VPN connection. But each user will need it own config files, .ovpn.
    OK, on the Ras Pi for it to be server you can only use the OpenVPN plugin. OMV 1.x version of this plugin is working fine. There seems to be some issues with the OMV 2.x version of this plugin. I know some people are using the OMV 1.x version on OMV 2.x.

There are some OpenVPN links here for different things.
    Guide Index/Links

• Hm, I must admit it's not absolutely clear to me what you mean.
    Maybe I expressed myself not clearly enough in my last statement.

I would like to connect several Ras-Pi to OMV with WLAN.
    All Ras-Pi are on the LAN side of the WLAN router, so all ports are supposed to be open by default.
    OpenVPN is not supposed to connect to a machine on the WAN at the moment. If I will need that I will open the UDP port 1194 to the WAN.

My problem is that I don't know how to set up OpenVPN on OMV and would appreciate if someone could point to a tutorial to me.
    OMV is supposed to run as the server and provide the VPN transfer networks to the clients. Registered VPN client IPs would be appreciated.
    Means every time a client connects with WLAN he gets the same IP by the WLAN router.
    If OMV could then always provide the same IPs for the VPN transfer networks, that would be great.

The RasPi are supposed to run on Debian 8 as VPN clients only. They are supposed to controll i.e. light, shutters, ... in the house.
    One of my problems is that last time I used OpenVPN on the Ras-Pi, they shut down WLAN when OpenVPN was started.

I now hoped that someone already had the same idea and could provide a tutorial for RasPi and/or tutorials to set up the complete scenario successfully.
    My problem is that I'm not experienced with OpenVPN.

What would be the best way to solve my intentions, in your opinion ?

Thanks
    Rainer

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!