planning omv + newznab build....Hardware questions

• looking at mini-tix setups and would like the lowest watts on the proc etc... looking at the AMD Fusion APU C-60 (1.0GHz, dual core) + 8GB DDR3

would a dual 1.0 be able to keep up with apache, php5,etc? while being a NAS as well?

whats the load while running omv say after 200+ days, watching mkvz, streaming, recording.

thnx!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

The new HP microserver is out soon, HP N54L. You might wanna take a look before you mess with the c-60.

It shows up on HP's business site here.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• i really like the N50-54L's from HP but there is only 4xsata hdd's. but this new neo is dual core 2.2GHZ...hmm

im looking for probibly 6+ hdd's

after having newznab on my main pc in a vm it hammers the cpu when processing, so ill have to go with microatx + fractle case. there are microatx boards w/ 7xsata on board....

• If you want some power I still wouldn't use the c-60. It's pretty weak. If you go matx you might want to try an AMD sempron 145. If the 2nd core opens look at benchmarks below. Make sure you get a board with southbridge sb-710 or higher. You have to weigh power consumption vs. power. My 4450e machine idles at like 47 watts. Low enough for me to run 24/7.

Benchmarks on C-60:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+C-60&id=243

Benchmarks AMD 4450e ( a sempron 145 with 2nd core unlocked):
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cp…MD+Athlon+Dual+Core+4450e

• Well I have a dedicated OMV NAS running with a AMD C-60 mainboard and 8GB memory.

Installation of OMV is a breeze.

At the moment I got Sabnzbd, CouchPotato, SickBeard, AutoSub, Spotweb and Newznab+ (13 groups) running on it and I have no problems at all.

Got a HTPC with XBMC streaming video's from the NAS and I got no problem watching a 1080p movie while it's downloading a movie through Sabnzbd+ and Spotweb + Newznab updating at the same time. Sure the CPU will hit the 100% from time to time but it doesn't seem to effect performance too much.

So if you want a low budget home made NAS with low TDP, the C-60 isn't such a bad idea.

• As tekkbebe wrote,

all of those low power CPUs are greate for pure NAS and perform very well also with Raid5 etc. pp. This is also true for N40L N54L etc. Microservers from HP. But if you need Transcode, get into a Core i3 (or whatever similar) to get computing power in. Of cause you are then limited into how low you can get in power consumption.

If you try to do what you proposed, I would still opt into a HP Microserver and simply attach an eSATA enclosure for addition drives.

BTW: you can put in 4TB drives nowadays, that would give you 12 TB netto disk space. I wonder if this is not enough? Also consider that you need to backup all that in one or the other way. ... huh quite a bit of data to move around :)

Ser

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• My low idle power OMV system:
    PSU: Antec 430w 80plus
    cpu: AMD A3500 with 0.2V under voltage
    MB: Gigbyte A75-D2H
    HDD: 2.5" 80GB OMV system + four seagate 3TB data
    4GB RAM
    Idle Power 28W on AC
    copy data 60W on AC
    speed ~115MB w/r with one core at 60%

• I use Kill a Watt to measure the AC power consumption. I just bought a Dell 265w 80 plus gold PSU at Ebay for $18. Now my system idle power consumption go down to 23W

my estimate the power usage for
    MB: 12W DC
    3TB HDD: 0.75W x 4 = 3W ( at sleep)
    80GB HDD: 2W (active)

total DC: 17W

PSU efficiency:
    17W/23W ~ %74 (Dell 265W 80 plus gold)
    17W/28W ~ %61 (Antec 430W 80 plus)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Very nice :) What is the part # of your Dell power supply?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!