Plex Media Server

• I think you are confused. The web management page acts like a client. For example, the local and remote download rates in MPS you set there are independent of the other clients. So you have to setup each client independently. You are probably going to a different client and wondering why values are different.

• I understand what you mean but that is not the case i was talking about the server software running under a user plex, but that al works now fine.
    Only noticed that the dlna from plex is much much slower then the minidlna plugin so i have issues over a wifi network which i don't have with minidlna or don't have with an xbmc client.

• What are you using for your wireless network? Are you wireless n or g? I'm usually connected at around 144 MPS and no issues. How much ram do you have? On a vitual machine I notice issues if ram is low. On Plex website I think they say like 2gb of ram is required. I disagree. I think they should say 6gb minimum cuz of some of the issues I've noticed, mostly due to low or running out of virtual memory during transcoding. Each upgrade it is getting better and better. If your plex hangs cuz of low memory/virtual memory delete and folders/files in your /tmp folder and reboot. If plex is not running right after an upgrade try rebooting a few times. There seem to be caching problems sometimes. Besides minor quirks and low memory issues it seems to be working really well.

• i have a HP Microserver N40L with 8Gb of memory connected directly with cable 1Gb network to router and from the router goes wifi-N to my PS3 or to my mediacenter.
    Its not the servers load no issues there, i think its the network but also it seems that plex has extra overhead because minidlna in same config shows no issues.

• I think the problem is the processor in the n40l. It can handle file sharing but not the transcoding that Plex is doing. I'm using a sempron 145 with an unlocked 2nd core. I don't think my atom 330 motherboard would handle Plex very well either.

• trust me its not the HW its plex the CPU doesn't even get warm running plex load is low when i use my imac with plex software installed connecting to the same server everything works just fine no issues what so ever. Server is really not the problem can handle even 10 streams without issue.
    Its the dlna that plex uses which gives issues and specially it seems over wifi, cable no problem.

• FYI, I've been messing with Plex on my virtual machine today. I discovered the virtual memory issue does not involve ram so plex works fine with 2 gigs. The issue was the transcoding filling up my virtual disk, doh! Surprised I didn't notice this before. So if you are testing on a vm make sure your virtual disks have at least 1.2 times the free space of the movie you will be playing. For example, if you will be playing a 4 gig movie on a limited virtual disk make sure you have 4 x 1.2 free space, or 4.8 gigs. That way you avoid virtual memory issue while testing in a vm.

Plex is working great with Roku wired at 8 MPS download. I think if Armand lowers his download speed on his wireless cient his issues should go away.

Did more testing on a VM. If you don't use a client and just stream via DLNA there is no transcoding. Streamed a Std. Def. (mpeg-2) movie to a tablet (via BubbleUPnP and MX Player Pro in lieu of Plex client app) and Western Digital TV Live at same time. Had no issues. VM only had 2 gigs ram.

Armand, what file types are you streaming?

Plex just gets better and better....

• hi tekkbebe,

I'm having problems installing plex. :( I can't get to install curl. I get the following error message:

root@NAS:~# apt-get install curl
    Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
    Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut
    Statusinformationen werden eingelesen... Fertig
    Einige Pakete konnten nicht installiert werden. Das kann bedeuten, dass
    Sie eine unmögliche Situation angefordert haben oder, wenn Sie die
    Unstable-Distribution verwenden, dass einige erforderliche Pakete noch
    nicht erstellt wurden oder Incoming noch nicht verlassen haben.
    Die folgenden Informationen helfen Ihnen vielleicht, die Situation zu lösen:

Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
    curl : Hängt ab von: libcurl3 (>= 7.16.2-1) soll aber nicht installiert werden
    E: Beschädigte Pakete

What can I do?

• Hi,

I replaced wifi-N with a powerline adapter and have no issues anymore, so it was the wifi.
    I just noticed that there is a new plex server update installing now, can i find somewhere what changes are in there?

plexmediaserver (0.9.7.17.469-1f0b170)

• Zitat von "ArmandH"

Hi,

I replaced wifi-N with a powerline adapter and have no issues anymore, so it was the wifi.
    I just noticed that there is a new plex server update installing now, can i find somewhere what changes are in there?

plexmediaserver (0.9.7.17.469-1f0b170)

EDIT: found the release notes, looks like we all should update new transcoder much better speed

http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/0…x-media-server-v0-9-7-17/

• I have been trying to install plex but this is as far as I get.

I was doing the copy paste method of installing but I think I need a little more help to get this working.

• Slightly off topic:

If you have a SamsungTV, plex has just released an update (Samsung tv app v1.000) that allows you, between the other things, to finally watch channels! (e.g. provided by OMV-plex). This is only available for 2013 models but should be deployed to older models soon.
    http://forums.plexapp.com/inde…n-here/page-2#entry383656

Sorry for the intrusion in thread, I just thought it's worth mentioning this here.

Regards

• Here it is ]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!