State of the wiki?

• Hey,

This is my first post and I hope I got the correct forum section.

Question:
    What is the current status of the wiki? I would like to contribute there but apart from some installation and configuration steps it seems pretty empty if not dead.
    As a small but experienced wikipedia contributor I have always enjoyed to use other wikis when learning something new: I read the documentation already there and make additions to it writing down my own experiences (of course in the appropriate form)

I have just set up my first instance of OMV and try step by step to get it right, so this would be right time to add something useful to the wiki, but I don't want to step on someones feet, hence the question.

If someone else is willing to join me at wiki improvement, that would be even better.

Greetings, Markus

• My experience with wikis is restricted to the content side (read: text and pictures). I'm also not a template guru but have here and there forked an existing one and bent it to my needs.

But it's good to see there is at least one other person who cares about the wiki. :) Let's see if some others chime in and if we can join forces to make the wiki and more useful...

• That's a great initiative and something I have missed as well. Since I don't have the technical skills to contribute to the code, I might also be able to help with the wiki instead. There is so much good info in the forum and the support from the mods are nothing but outstanding. It's just a bit overwhelming sometimes to quickly be able to find the info, especially if you don't even know where to start.

The guides are great but a bit hidden in the fourm and it is also missing the overview to keep it all together especially for a new person like me with little experience in linux.

When I installed OMV I had to use an old outdated blog posts someone had done. What was good with that one was that it was written as: "you want to do this, here is the step by step what you need to do" vs "here's the instruction how to install a particular package" (which you experts are very familiar with but as a newbie I have no clue at all what this feature will even do. I often find myself google the names out of curiosity to see if that would be something I would find helpful).

Here's one wiki as a reference that is really good:
    http://kodi.wiki

Anyways, let me know how I can help

(Please keep it going in English . :)

• Hey Vasa,

I'm glad to see you want to help with the wiki.. I certainly don't want to (and cannot) write all new pages alone, that would leave me with no time left to play with OMV and other distractions ;)

In the meantime I've written a mail to @votdev concerning my thoughts around the wiki and linked to this thread.

Greetings, Markus

• Doesn't look like a wiki to me...and is paid. I have running a server already if you want to contribute to fill up content, organize and correct (spell and redaction). If you're good at css is more than welcome
    Are you interested?

Confluence https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence is the wiki software and it is free to open source projects such as this one. The link I supplied is the form to fill out to get a license for open media vault.

Regardless of which wiki platform is chosen I am interested in helping maintain content.

• Thank you fubz, every support is apprecciated. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I have a fresh experience on setting up OMV.
    And I have experience on Confluence as it is a tool we use at work.
    Confluence is easy to work with, but in my experience it is lacking in search capabilities. It works well when you search for words in the page titles, but the search for specific contents is not that good.

But no matter what platform that is selected, I can help out with content and maybe even design of the wiki.

• My internet connection at home refused to work since just before the holidays, that's why I've remained silent for some days.

Now I'm here and can give you a short update. @votdev has set up a wiki account for me and I've started to pick some low hanging fruits in the configuration documentation before my connection broke down. As long as I'm away for the holidays and when there's time I'm uploading a bunch of screenshots and add them to their appropriate pages.

I hope some of you join me, there is plenty of work to do and I don't intend to step on anybody's feet who does things different. In german I would say: "Wer macht, hat recht!" or "the one doing the work is always right".
    So please contact @votdev for an account if you want to help out bringing the wiki into shape!

I don't feel competent to weigh in on the platform question but I prefer to use what's available right now on the openmediavault.org server.
    That's the place people go when they look for info or documentation on openmediavault. If that changes in the future, I'll be okay with that.
    Content can be exported from any Mediawiki, system so my work will not be lost if the community agrees to move to confluence or another system in the future.

Good night,

Markus

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!