Permission issues

• Hello,

I have a strange configuration issue. I have two accounts A and B, A is able to create folders/files/etc... in all the folders it has access to using ACLs. However B is unable to create folders/files/etc... in all the folders it has access to. Even if I create new users and attempt to give them write permissions to folders, they are unable to write to them.

Very strange.....

• I've tried using permissions in the past and wasn't able to have people browse the shares over the network.
    I did attempt to use permissions this time after having troubles with ACLs and still wasn't able to access the shares.

would I have to clear out the ACL configuration?

• I would read that thread first. See if you are creating shares correctly.

Yes, clear out all ACLs with the reset permissions TAB in the Shared Folders sections. There is a button switch for resettings ACLs. You need OMV EXtras to do this.

• Don't be afraid of using ACLs.
    Everywhere in the forum you will read things like "Don't use ACLs.. Use privileges..."
    I have a couple of shares and for each share I created a group with read and one with read/write permissions.
    (e.g. share="music", group "music-rw" has read/write permissions and group "music-r" has read-only permissions.
    Then simply add the user(s) to the required group(s).
    I had no issues so far with SMB/CIFS, FTP and NFS.

Cheers,
    T.

• Out of curiosity why should we not use ACLs?

Yea i've been using ACLs with no problem but I attempted network modifications this past weekend and ever since then my windows host is NOT happy....

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't be afraid of using ACLs.
    Everywhere in the forum you will read things like "Don't use ACLs.. Use privileges..."

I disagree. I recommend against ACLs because they are an afterthought to linux filesystems and cause more problems than they fix. I have run samba servers for 15+ years without ACLs. If you setup user/group permissions correctly, you won't need them. Worst case, you change the default file creation privileges in extra options.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the tips, I was able to fix my issue by resetting the permissions.
    I think the permissions got screwed up when I mounted it to my cloud server and altered the perms there.....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!