Thanks to @shadowzero and his excellent Serviio Install Guide, I've been happily using Serviio for a couple years. However, I recently was given a ChromeCast, but was frustrated by it's inability to stream content from the local network. After some searching, I came across BubbleUPNP which does exactly what I needed, but was a bit of a pain to install. I documented all my steps and am sharing it here in case it may be of use to anyone else.
- Check for Java
If it's installed you'll get output similar to below and can skip installing Java and go immediately to step 1Quote
java version "1.8.0_72"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_72-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.72-b15, mixed mode)
- add the Java 8 repository, then install the Java 8 runtimeCode
- Set Oracle Java 8 as the default on the system:
- The first step is to download BubbleUPNP:
Then unzip it:
You'll also need ffmpeg in the BubbleUPNP directory for it to function properly:
ffmpeg needs to be unzipped as well:
- Move BubbleUPNP to a better location than your home directory:
- And make things executable:
- You don't want services running as root (security risk!), so we'll create a new user that will only be responsible for running BubbleUPNP:
- our new user needs to own the folder in order to do it's job:
- It's time to create our startup script. Open nano (or the text editor of your choice):
and paste in the following:Bash
Save it (Ctrl-o) and exit (Ctrl-x) the editor.
If you've made any changes to usernames, directories, etc, please ensure you make the necessary changes in the script as well.
- This script needs to be executable:
And root needs to own it:
It needs to be added to startup:
- The moment of truth! Let's start the service:
- Did it work? Let's make sure it's running:
- Time to configure the server!