Unexpected Inconsistency on ext4 - how to proceed ?

• Hi,

unexpectedly last booting failed with this error message:

DATEN0500: Superblock needs_recovery flag is clear, but journal has data.
    DATEN0500: Run journal anyway
    DATEN0500: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
    (i.e., without -a or -p options)

I pulled the respective data drive and got a normal boot. Also after this on a second try, overriding this message with [CTRL] [D] continues to boot, and data on this drive are still present.

Any idea was caused this error (SMART data are ok.) ?

How to proceed with fsck, which options should be used, to regain consistency and not to erase anything?

As my server is normally running headless, is there an option that this error does not stop the boot process, but just send an report via email or some message inside the web-gui?

Thanks for any help
    Erik

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should have the nofail flag in fstab so it continues to boot even if bad.

This isn't a hardware error. This is a filesystem error. Maybe the machine lost power without shutting down properly?

If you can't get it to continue and you don't want to connected a keyboard/monitor, put the drive in a different system and boot systemrescuecd. The just run fsck.ext4 /dev/sdXY. It shouldn't delete any data.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have this inside the openmediavault brackets:

UUID=5ab4469f-2680-4338-aab0-ea06e93e262c /media/5ab4469f-2680-4338-aab0-ea06e93e262c ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2

so it shouldn't stop

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, it stops so you will need to proceed with one of my options.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!