OMV on Raspberry Pi 3

• Hello,

I have a lot of trouble installing OMV Pi 3 .

I tested via the Pi IMG but it is only compatible for 1 and 2 apparently (the image boot absolutely not in my 3 while the same SD card boot on my Pi 2)

I installed NOOBS (Raspbian) but this is Jessie and apparently compatible with OMV 2.1 ...

So what do you recommend?

Thank you for your help and sorry for my bad english ...

• i don't know if @ryecoaaron has the board yet to test it and create and image.

I haven't purchased any arm boards lately. Maybe in a few weeks when I have more time.

omv 5.6.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry to revive the conversation, but does anyone have an img a Raspbian Wheezy bootable from SD ? Impossible to find a decent ...

• Why not use the OMV 2.x RPi image? It is very minimal other than having OMV on it. If you didn't want OMV on it, you are probably asking on the wrong forum :) All images have to boot off SD as well. You can't boot an RPi any other way.

omv 5.6.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.5

• I guess it needs a newer kernel to boot. I don't have an RPi3 to test. If the image was fully updated to the latest kernel on an RPi2 (might need rpi-update), I think it will boot on an RPi3 but I may be wrong. Maybe someone with and RPi2 and RPi3 can test??

• @ryecoaaron
    I can test it if you tell me how to update the kernel of the img . I'm not very comfortable with Linux but I should manage to do something to help !

I have an SD card with the image that RPI2 only start on RPI2 , I can do my tests it without problem .

Simon.

• Really love to see omv in rpi3. Just buy one and notice that it's incompible with the image from 2! :(

If i can help in someting just let me know.

• As the link says, if you execute (as root):
    omv-update
    rpi-update
    reboot
    You should be able to run the image on an RPi3.

I just ordered an RPi3 and some microSD cards so I can update the images...

• As the link says, if you execute (as root):
    <code class="inlineCode">omv-update</code>
    <code class="inlineCode">rpi-update</code>
    <code class="inlineCode">reboot</code>
    You should be able to run the image on an RPi3.

Thanks
    Just tested it from a fresh install and it works.
    Just do'nt forget to setup the date correctly or rpi-update wo'nt work.

• Good to know. Once I get my RPi3, I will update images.

• Actually i'm a bit dissapointed by the RPI 3 performances.
    Reseeding 2.6 TB surely went quickier than using a RPI 2.
    But I was also hoping in better performances with torrent downloading as i'm using a vpn and that both program are eating cpu time but no the results are almost the same.
    I thought also about using the wifi instead of the wire for network , leaving all the usb bandwith for the hdd, but the wifi chip is'nt recognised.
    I guess RPI 3 needs a bit of time to be fully supported.

• Fully supported by OMV or Linux?

The RPi2 and RPi3 both have usb-based 100mb network adapters. I would bet this is the limiting factor. You would probably have better luck with an odroid-c2.

As for wifi adapter support, that is all in the kernel. So, whatever is supported by the standard RPi kernel is what you are going to get. There has to be plenty of adapters that are supported.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!