mhddfs + chown

• So I am still using mhddfs (gonna look into unionfs) and was checking out my file permissions. During that process I noticed that I was able to chown any file/directory as non-privileged user to i.e. root:users and vice versa for shares under the mhddfs path (i.e. /media/mhddfs_guid).

Is this an added "bonus" of using mhddfs?

To be clear, a file owned by "root:users" under a share exported by mhddfs could be changed to be owned by "my_username:users" and vice versa. Verified with a clean OMV install.

• Offizieller Beitrag

mhddfs is a fuse filesystem and it runs in userspace. The fstab entry might not be created properly. I would switch to the unionfs plugin and use mergerfs instead of mhddfs.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok, thanks, gonna look into it. Just thought I'd mention it although users worried about security probably would not be using mhddfs in the first place.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is one reason to use mergerfs...

sent 93,432,825,672 bytes received 7,494 bytes 114,852,898.79 bytes/sec

I rsync my main server to my backup server which has a mergerfs pool with direct_io flag set. :) CPU in backup server is only a J1900 celeron.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!