[SOLVED]Impossible to create shared folder

• Hello guy,

I registered from your nice forum just to ask you some help. First of all, sorry if my English isn't very good and if my sentences are not very explicit, I am a belgian french speaker.

I installed omv 2.2.1 on my raspberry pi3 to make a personal nas. Everything work, except the USB hard disk drive plugged into my rpbp3. Here is the whole error I meet when I try to create a shared folder in my hdd (after deleting it!). My HDD is 320g, in ext4.

Other small question, I get used to use terminal (putty), but I don't have the username and the password to make it. Could you tell me what is it?

Thank you for your help

• Here is the whole error I meet

Failed to create the directory '/media/e6c8691b-972e-4a90-ba0c-4acb266c0c1f/300G': mkdir(): Read-only file system

The filesystem is read only. There could be multiple reasons why your filesystem is remounted as read only. Are you sure the power supply on your RPi is sufficient? Could you supply your syslog (You find it in the Log Section in the Webinterface)?

Other small question, I get used to use terminal (putty), but I don't have the username and the password to make it. Could you tell me what is it?

Um, which image did you use to format your sd card with?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I finally "fixed" this. I changed the hard disk drive. I can tell you it was not an alim problem, because the 2nd hdd needs more power than the 1st.

I have some other trouble, low speed on local sharing. I used the command windows+R and I entered \\192.168.X.X, it works. But when I copy or paste something, speed is arount 2mb/s. It's not very much for local sharing, how can I fix it?

• Do you copy small or big files? How does read speed compare to your write speed?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Thank you for answering David !

I use my nas for personnal use (max size 5gb). And the hdd is ext3 (or ext 4)
    Reading is between 7 and 1o mbp/s.

I saw on internet than, noatime might help. But I dont know how configure it.

• Try the following via command line: Be carefull, keep in mind to replace with the correct UUID!

Code
    dd if=/dev/zero  of=/media/REPLACEWITHYOURUUID/tempfile bs=1MB count=10240
    dd if=/media/REPLACEWITHYOURUUID/tempfile of=/dev/zero
    rm /media/REPLACEWITHYOURUUID/tempfile

Post the output. Depending on the actual speed of your drives, this might take some seconds to minutes.

Greetings
    David

• Oh, when you copy it like that to the shell it will run all of the three commands right after each other. You should have some output sometime though, as I said, it could take some time.

Greetings
    David

• Ok, work in progress. I'll speak you back when work will be over. Can you (fast) explain, what those command will change?

I really appreciate your help, thank you!

PS; Silent, I'll kill you!

• I come back. I tried on a laptop, and the writing speed is really better. 2mb/s yesterday, and today 11mb/s!

I have a last problem. On my other computer, windows 10, I can access to the nas, but I cant write anything.
    "you need permission to perform this action"

And user seem well configured. Writing/reading permission are enabled. I do not understand...

• Can you (fast) explain, what those command will change?

I wanted to see the write/read performance. It would've not changed anything.

and today 11mb/s!

That sounds about right.

And user seem well configured. Writing/reading permission are enabled. I do not understand...

When you created the shared folder, which permission set did you use?

PS; Silent, I'll kill you!

Silence, I kill you! :thumbup:

Greetings
    David

• Code
    root@raspberrypi:~# dd if=/dev/zero  of=/media/3db95698-c956-4636-b951-20cb321fd1c9/tempfile bs=1MB count=10240
    10240+0 records in
    10240+0 records out
    10240000000 bytes (10 GB) copied, 308.189 s, 33.2 MB/s
    root@raspberrypi:~# dd if=/media/3db95698-c956-4636-b951-20cb321fd1c9/tempfile of=/dev/zero
    20000000+0 records in
    20000000+0 records out
    10240000000 bytes (10 GB) copied, 317.907 s, 32.2 MB/s

Is that possible to increase speed?

All created users have reading/writing permission. It works on win8 with one user. But on win10, with mind, it doesn't work.

• All created users have reading/writing permission.

I meant the permissions you chose when you created the shared folder, not what you assigned to your users.

Is that possible to increase speed?

No. Thats the limit of USB2.0. And via the Network you're limited to 100mbit.

Greetings
    David

• That is what I mean.

Greetings
    David

• stat /media/UUID/sharedfolder

Post the output of the command above.

Greetings
    David

• You copied some weird character, type the command manually - and also replace sharedfolder with the name of your actual shared folder.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!