OMV 2 Kernel 4.x Image

• Interesting news about the 4.6 kernel - https://tech.slashdot.org/stor…rged-to-move-to-linux-471

I'm still withthe 4.5, so I'll probably jump directly on 4.7.x
    Do I need to compile it, or you will do a precompiled version like the one's in the first post?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• I rarely compile kernels anymore. Maybe the original poster will compile one. I will wait for the 4.7 kernel to be in the debian backports repo. No need to be bleeding edge on my equipment.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @tinh_x7

That would be great :thumbsup:

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• why you wrote x64 only after 4.7.1?
    BTW I really don't get why omv still use the old 3.16 :( it would be a lot easyer if it would integrate an updated kernel!

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Both kernels are 64 bits.
    No worry.
    I guess for those who can upgrade to OMV3 can use the new kernels.
    And those who like me using OMV2, can use the new kernels.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Both kernels are 64 bits.
    No worry.
    I guess for those who can upgrade to OMV3 can use the new kernels.
    And those who like me using OMV2, can use the new kernels.

Yes, but for everyone like me, with new cpu and chipest, to have the new kernel already built in it's a lot better

• OMV uses the standard Debian kernels. None of us has time to maintain custom kernels. It is easy enough to create your own kernels or use someone else's kernel as demonstrated by this thread.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6

• OMV uses the standard Debian kernels. None of us has time to maintain custom kernels. It is easy enough to create your own kernels or use someone else's kernel as demonstrated by this thread.

the problem is mostly during first installation. IF you have the latest intel you can't install debian with 3.16 kenrnel

• So I was attempting to compile the recently released 4.8 kernel following the guide mentioned earlier. However it keeps failing. Here's the output of the errors I'm getting:

After hours of searching, I found this forum thread with a user who'd appeared to have encountered the same issue, suggesting he was "compiling from the wrong directory" and where the solution involved "a symbolic link pointing to the current kernel source". But I'm lost in what they'd meant by this. What kernel source are they're referring to? Furthermore, why isn't this mentioned in the guide? That had compiling the kernel in user's home directory like I'm attempting.

• There is some way to put your kernel directly into the iso BEFORE install the os? I need to install OMV 3.0.36 on a new hardware that is not compatible with the kernel 3.16 :(

• There is some way to put your kernel directly into the iso BEFORE install the os?

Just boot systemrescuecd and follow the debootstrap guide. It is easier than trying to create your own ISO.

You could also install OMV and the backports kernel in a different system.

• sadly the ZFS dkms module doesn't compile with bot Kernels

Do you have the zfs-testing repo enabled in omv-extras? If you do, it uses 0.6.5.7 from the official zfs repos which may not compile with 4.7/4.8. If you don't have it enabled, the 0.6.5.8 packages from the Debian repos is used which might work with those kernels.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!