My JBOD NAS Build

• This is my first build doing something like this and I've never used anything but Windows, and some DOS in the old days. The OS takes a bit to get used to, and I really appreciate OMV web-gui. I had to reinstall twice yesterday, because I was playing around and couldn't get some of my settings to change, or I deleted something out of order and it was referenced somewhere else, I'm unsure, just that it's working now.

I was using WD My cloud but it's filling up and it can't expand the way I wanted. I was looking for a way to expand the drive size to be one continuous drive that I can expand, this way my backup software can just keep writing and I won't have to change drives as they fill up.

I wanted a MB with 6 SATA connections for expansion, and a case that could hold them. The case can fit 4 3.5" drives, with room for a couple 2.5" sized drives, and with some finagling, I'm sure I can get 1 or 2 more in there if needed. I tried to go inexpensive where I could, so that started me off with AMD.

GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0) AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    and
    AMD FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core 3.8GHz (4.0GHz) Socket AM3+ 95W FD4300WMHKBOX Desktop Processor
    with Klevv FIT Faker Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

I wanted a case that looked a little different but would hold all the drives I wanted, so I chose the
    Apevia X-QPACK3-WHT Micro ATX Cube Gaming/HTPC Case, White plus I added two more 120mm fans and then I've always wanted to try a modular power supply, so I picked the
    RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply

I wanted to put the OS onto a Flash drive so I got 2 Verbatim 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive but I couldn't get the GRUB to install onto the one because the drive wasn't A and I couldn't figure out how to switch the two USB in BIOS and I didn't see an option in the installer so I ended up having to use an 80 GB drive I had laying around. But it is actually better, now that I see some of the plugins available, I want to play around with some of them and the HD space could be useful. I also grabbed some extra SATA cables.

In OMV I wanted to basically use a JBOD, and had saw the SnapRaid and thought that looked like what I wanted. I also saw the Union filesystem after installing OMV and reading a bit. I set up my User and group. I had set up and mounted two drives, different sizes and speeds, 4tb and 3tb. Turned on SMART, Mounted them, used Union filesystem -mhddfs, then added a SnapRAID with the pooled drive. I did create a shared folder on the pooled drive too. But I messed up somewhere and either playing with privileges on the user or groups or both, I couldn't get into my shared folder through my Windows machine on the network. and when I went go into the user privileges I would get errors. I wish I wrote them down, they were coming from the SnapRAid and referenced the name I used when setting that up. Anyway I deleted the snapraid setting, the unified setting, then the users and groups, but when I tried to make the settings again, the same error occured. So I reinstalled everything again and started fresh, I did the same steps but before I made a Snapraid service I checked to see if I could access the pooled drive from my Windows PC and could. So I stopped.

I have a Plex media server with all the media installed on it and want it to backup on to this NAS device. I installed http://www.goodsync.com/ I chose it because it mirrors my data, not create a backup file only it can read, plus in the sync part, it will only backup the files I change. It's been running all night and works good. It's slow, but I think it's because of the mirror mode with no compression.

Next I want to check the expandability of the Unified filesystem Monday, I have another HD coming in and will add that to the pool. What I'm hoping to happen is to get it installed and then in OMV, mount it and add it to the pool, that will get me to 11TB and should cover what I need for a couple months.

Here's a product picture of my case, and then my pictures of it during assembly and turning on. Let me know what you think

I just placed the extra plugs in the cas enext to the power supply

It powered up!

• I was able to add that 3rd hard drive to the pool and no problems. It added the space, and didn't affect my data at all!

I also changed the back up software. After running and using my Media PC, it bogged that thing down to a crawl and I had to remove it. I found SyncbackSE. It works great, it'll backup, Mirror and all the settings it has built in is amazing, I can really fine tune what I want it to do. Plus while running, it isn't noticeable on my systems resources.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!