Backup for OMV configs?

• I'm currently running a HP Microserver with an 8GB USB Disk as the boot device for OMV.

I'm happy so far but I'm just concerned how I'd recover should the USB stick die.

Can anyone recommend backup options for the boot device and it's configuration?

Regards

• I'm also interested in an option to backup - and restore - the OMV config as it is done in Nas4free (they use an xml file).
    Would really be great. Many thanks in advance!

HP Proliant Microserver N40L - 8Go RAM - ESXi 6 - 1*250Go + 2*3To + 1*650Go - OMV 2.x installed

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tugdualenligne"

I'm also interested in an option to backup - and restore - the OMV config as it is done in Nas4free (they use an xml file).
    Would really be great. Many thanks in advance!

This is correct, but they do not support plugins which makes it really complicated to implement a backup/restore feature. One big problem is the database (xml file) must be compatible with the plugin version which is really difficult and currently not possible with the framework.

• Backing up in Linux just blows. I'm using Clonezilla but it's a pain in the a** on a headless machine. I'm thinking about getting a kvm over IP device. Then I'd just drop in a copy of clonezilla, attach the kvm over IP and reboot to do a backup. If anyone finds a good solution pass it on to us. I don't want to setup a server to image a drive either.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ptruman"

I bought one of these : http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-port-usb-kvm-switch-99269

I can switch between my main Windows PC and the OMV box by thwacking the defined hot key twice in quick succession. Works nicely.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just use SSH? Beyond that, how does using a KVM switch have anything to do w/ backing up a system in the event of a thumb drive failure?

• ptruman, yes a standard kvm switch is a great solution if your machine is close to a desktop. my servers at home are in a server room in the basement and at work everything is rackmounted in a back room. everything is headless. after getting my home machine setup as i wanted i brought it upstairs and attached to a monitor and keyboard to run clonezilla, saving images to a smb or samba share. then brought it back downstairs. i have the data drives in a backplane and i'm thinking about getting a hot swap device for the system drive, a 2.5 inch ssd. then i'd just have to bring the drive upstairs to make an image of it. quick and ez. way cheaper then the kvm over ip.... i like clonezilla but wish you could use it on a running machine like acronis on a windows machine. adjusting bios and booting from a cd or usb stick blows. been looking at pxe stuff but seems to still require bios adjustments or keypresses at boot.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!