Cannot install backport kernel

• Hey,
    I just installed OMV 3.0.2 to my Microserver Gen 8.
    I updated/upgraded to 3.0.26 (newest?).
    Now I wanted to install the backport kernel via WebGUI.
    But somehow it stops at "reading packet lists..." and the "start" button is not disabled anymore... No "finished"-message or something else...
    Not updated as well, still old kernel installed...

What can I do to fix this?

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

What can I do to fix this?

Not much you can do from the webui, the command is hard coded into omv extras, the kernel probably upgraded the version. You have to wait until the maintainer upgrades the package with new version.

cc @ryecoaaron

You can try and install manually type

apt-get install linux-image-

press TAB key to the see the autocomplete display which kernels you want to install

• Hi, thanks for your answer :)

You can try and install manually type

apt-get install linux-image-

press TAB key to the see the autocomplete display which kernels you want to install

This gives me the following output:

Code
    ~# apt-get install linux-image-
    linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64      linux-image-amd64
    linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64-dbg  linux-image-amd64-dbg

EDIT: now I got a "Finished" message when upgrading via OMV-Extras in the WebGUI, but the kernel remained the same as before O.o

• I just installed 3.0.26 today and I'm having the same problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It works on my fresh 3.0.26 VM. One of the repos (omv repo) is very slow and might be timing out causing this to fail.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I've tried to install the newest Kernel manually, but I receive this message:

What do I have to do to Install the newest backport kernel?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You must have something else going on with the system because I just click the install backports button in omv-extras. Post the output (might need to attach file) of:

apt-get update
    dpkg -l

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is mine. I have manually installed newer kernel after the backports button didn't work.

It didn't work because of the way it does architecture detection (uses uname). It uses the architecture specified in the kernel name. When you compile your own kernel and don't put amd64 in the name, it doesn't find an architecture. Since most people don't compile their own kernel and if they do, they can put amd64 in the name, I don't think anything needs to be changed with omv-extras. I can't think of a more reliable way that works across all architectures either.

• It didn't work because of the way it does architecture detection (uses uname). It uses the architecture specified in the kernel name. When you compile your own kernel and don't put amd64 in the name, it doesn't find an architecture. Since most people don't compile their own kernel and if they do, they can put amd64 in the name, I don't think anything needs to be changed with omv-extras. I can't think of a more reliable way that works across all architectures either.

I tried to update to backport kernel before I installed kernel manually. It didn't work then. Only after that I installed the current kernel.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There must have been a sources.list problem and/or repo issue then. I can't replicate the problem. The button executes apt-get update. If there are any issues (especially a very slow repo), it will fail. Nothing I can do to fix that.

• I also had the problem to install the kernel from jessie backports, maybe because of the wrong procedure to integrate the backports repository to "/etc/apt/sources.list". After a clean install I used the button under omv-extras to install the backport kernel. That did the trick.

Thanks and Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!