OMV on raspberry pi 3.0, crashing network

• So here it goes...

Last night I'm just messing around on my network in pfsense trying to get snort to work, so afterwards i venture over to my OMV on my pi at 192.168.1.3

So i realize that i haven't logged into it for so long that i forgot the password, the server was working, just couldnt authenticate to the webpage.

I go ahead and download a new image and restore it, and I'm getting halfway through the process of restoring settings on the web interface it when... my wifi just crashes.

Immediately I expect my AP ( should be good to note that i do not have a home router, I have a pfsense box and an AP, with two layer 2 switches) to be the problem.

So I rush to my closet and I look at all the switches to unplug the wifi, all the lights are simultaneously blinking extremely fast. My immediate thought was something is flooding the network.

So i unplugged the wifi as I thought that was the problem, no it was the raspberry pi, immediately after unplugging the pi my network calms down.

So the second time it happened I hook my laptop up to a wired port i have around my house, and well I can connect to my internet, but not wifi. I tried getting wireshark up and running, but the switches calmed down by then so I couldn't capture any data.

So when I wake up this morning.... I tried again, NO INTERNET, by now Im on the verge of tears, and i try pinging 192.168.1.1 (gateway), 192.168.1.2 (AP), and 192.168.1.3 (OMV PI3) all come back and respong with a ping....

So now Im sitting here confused as ever wondering how I can talk to my default gateway, or anything on my network, but not go out to the internet.

ALSO i disabled all pfsense packages, except for ARPing, and darkstat.

I don't have squid, or snort running atm...

Anyone with more insight than me?

Network is working when the PI is not plugged in, like right now...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like the RPi has the same IP address as another device.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It shouldn't, I have my dhcp lease range above .50 everything below is static. It is using the same address before i reformatted it.

EDIT: I forgot to add that when my wifi was down, I could not pick up any other SSID's in my neighborhood. My laptop gave a straight red X on the wifi stating no networks could be found...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have the wired and wireless NICs confiured on the RPi? Maybe with the same IP?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Well it is wired right in my network closet, and even IF wifi was enabled it does not know the WPA2 key. I think rasppi 3.0 has wifi built into it.
    I I have a total of 3 layer 2 switches in the network, I'm pretty sure that it is a broadcast storm (First time experiencing one if it is).

I gave the pi the same config give my other computers.

192.168.1.3 (3 in this case for the pi)

and

192.168.1.1 for dns

My questions are is this what a broadcast storm sounds like? I plan on when I get home to drop all leases and let my network flush and relearn everything. I also was going to try and recreate the error by plugging the pi back in, and capturing with wireshark.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I created the RPi images and have never had an issue with any RPi causing this problem on my network. There are no daemons enabled by default on the RPi images that could cause this in my opinion. I have seen a port on a switch and a bad cable cause similar problems though.

• Sure,

Starting,

[MODEM]
    |
    |
    [ROUTER]
    |
    |
    [Switch 1]-------> [AP]
    |
    |
    [Switch 2]
    |
    |
    [Switch 3]

So basically, switch 1 is my switch that connects all of my closet peripherals together, servers, dlna, etc

switch 1 connects to switch 2 which is 24 ports (about 6 active, 18 wires are hooked up though) this expands to the rest of the house

switch 3 is on one of the active ports of switch 2, and just expands in the media center.

the AP comes off of switch 1, and is just an old home router, re-purposed as an AP.

The only reason I feel it is a broadcast storm is because all the switch lights blink simultaneously in fast succession, and the network just stops.

I made all the cables and I may have broke that cable, I will have to test that one connected to the pi, just to knock that off the list.

I'm just wondering if it is a bad image... I mean I had it serve my files to me over my network clean as whistle like before...

Everything is also cat6 plenum cabling so it isn't cheap or prone to breaking.

• Re,

so you coudln't had a broadcast storm ... anyway ... your layout is fully switched and non looped.

Broken cables, noisy clients (yes, bad software or hardware failure too), portscanning or just some switching-fu (spanning tree) could happend.

I recommend you to check cabeling (especially the noses on copper based wiring, aka "RJ45").
    And i hope, no cable is longer than 100m or brutal "edged" :P

Sc0rp

• So in other words not a loop, or a storm. But a bad software config on the PI's part to where it was storming the network? Is this still able to bring a network down and kick everyone off of wifi?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you check your cable to the RPi? Did you try a different port on the switch where the RPi is connected? There is NO way the default config on the RPi image is causing this. Maybe the network port on the RPi is bad??

• I am using a microSD, and I mean the device connects and communicates to the network like it did before.

So as far as I can tell it is 100% working... except for the network annihilation...

@rye, after I recreate the error and capture some packet info I'll test the cable, and then I'll reformat it running it's vanilla settings and see if that causes a crash.

I mean and I wouldn't think it was bad... it responded to web applications and ICMP requests

• Yep.

The term "broadcast storm" is ambiguous, since it can happen to layer 2 and/or 3 of the OSI model.

Some faulty arp/re-arp can cause some hardware to do something weired, seen long ago between intel an cisco hardware, and some ugly realtek-nic's - but the 100mbit/s-times are gone ;).

Best explanation is weired happening on RPi3, including driver related "magic" ... the hardware on this "cheap" devices is always good for some obscure behavior ;)

So, finally, don't be angry anymore ... just reboot some stuff - it will fix it nearly almost all :P

Sc0rp

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!