OMV on Proxmox

• Back.

HDD Passtrough is working fine. But I got over samba only 50 mb/s writing speed. It doesn't matter, if it is a passtrough-HDD or a LVM-Container. With OMV3 Baremetal and MergerFS I get 110 mb/s..
    The change of cache doesn't have an effect either...

And the biggest problem: HD-Idle or Spindown itself doesn't work!

I installed HD-Idle 1.0.5 on the Host and made entries for every HDD in the hd-idle.conf (for the passtroughed HDD and for the LVM-Container containing-HDD).

They doesn't spindown after the time I set and even if I try to bring them to sleep with hdparm -Y /dev/sda (a passtroughed-HDD), it spindown but spins up again immediatly.

This is the log of the Host right after giving the sleed command:

What can I do to bring spindown to work?

• Hello guys,

What do you think about this guide?

https://forum.proxmox.com/thre…ed-hw-block-device.29918/

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like a pain in the ass and I'm not sure why you need to run OMV in a container. But, if it works, great.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Looks like a pain in the ass and I'm not sure why you need to run OMV in a container. But, if it works, great.

yeah, it is a lot simpler to just use regular VM and do an HDD pass-through if needed.
    however, if OMV 3.0 have remote share mount back, why even bother, you can just share the data folders directly from the host via Samba or better yet NFS, Remote mount them in OMV and let OMV do it's magic for you by managing access etc.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• yeah, it is a lot simpler to just use regular VM and do an HDD pass-through if needed.
    however, if OMV 3.0 have remote share mount back, why even bother, you can just share the data folders directly from the host via Samba or better yet NFS, Remote mount them in OMV and let OMV do it's magic for you by managing access etc.

What exactly do you mean with "remote share mount back"?

I think this is exactly what I am looking for. I want the host system (proxmox) to provide the zfs file systems, but omv to share the folders per nfs/samba and manage the rights/users.

By the way at the moment I use proxmox as the host system and omv3 in kvm with a pci passed through lsi sas3008 controller. But this is far away from comfortable, if you want to use a zfs file system in another kvm or lxc. This is only possible per network share. Direct access to the file systems per mount would be much better. So it make sense to have the zfs file systems on the host and not in a kvm.

But I am new to this and learning all the time until I have the perfect system! ;)

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• well, during the transition to v3.0 the Remote share mount plugin was not ported right a way.
    so for a while it was not available. if I understand some of ryecoaaron posts , the plugin have been ported or a new one have been written for version 3.0. so it is available again.
    hence now you can mount the NFS shares on other servers, or in this case on the Proxmox host, in OMV as if they where drives in OMV. and than manage them from OMV.

• That sounds great!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

so for a while it was not available. if I understand some of ryecoaaron posts , the plugin have been ported or a new one have been written for version 3.0. so it is available again.

It was completely rewritten but had no upgrade path. So, I renamed it openmediavault-remotemount. It only mounts nfs and samba at the moment.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hm.., I am trying to understand...

If I look from my perspective, I would like to see the following:

- zfs file systems are created at the proxmox host system
    - these zfs file systems are mounted per "vmid".conf to omv (kvm/lxc)
    - in omv it should be possible to manage the rights/users and the share services (nfs/samba) for the mounted zfs file systems (folders)

But if I understand you right, it is as follows:

- zfs file systems are created at the proxmox host system
    - these zfs file systems are shared at the proxmox host (I have to setup a nfs/samba server at the proxmox host)
    - in omv it is possible to mount these shared folders with omv-remotemount and manage the rights/users
    - in omv it is not possible to manage mounted folders from the proxmox host

Do I understand this correct? What do you think about this?

Greetings Hoppel

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Not sure if this thread is still active, but I'm trying to do the same thing. i posted this over on the proxmox forum also.

• I have decided to re purpose my OMV box to a proxmox host and run multiple OMV instances plus some...

My setup if currently...
      ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X
      AMD A8-7600 cpu
      8GB RAM
      3sgb mSATA in place on wireless card for system
      3x1TB WD RED HDDs
      when I built this I needed to add a lan card (Intel EXPI9301CT) but don't remember why
      the proxmox install went fine and SSH and WEBui are OK with the onboard lan adapter.

I installed proxmon on the 32GB mSATA, now I want to mount the 3x1tb drives to be used for all future VMs

I read about making each drive a virtual device then using them for VMs, but not sure how to do that and is it possible to do that an retain the data already on the drives?

• Offizieller Beitrag

when I built this I needed to add a lan card (Intel EXPI9301CT) but don't remember why

You probably were getting bad performance. Intel cards are the best option. I would keep that card in the system.

read about making each drive a virtual device then using them for VMs, but not sure how to do that and is it possible to do that an retain the data already on the drives?

Yep. Just pass the drive through to the VM - read Just remember that when you passthrough the drive to the VM, it can't be used for VM storage or another VM. So, you will need a drive for VM storage.

• I'm thinking about to migrate my OMV 3 into a Proxmox again.
    Why? Snapshots and such things.
    I would like to install Proxmox on a 240GB SSD and there should be installed the VMs as well. Will this work?
    ISOs and Data should be storaged on a 1TB HDD. Is it possible to mirror HDDs like Raid 1 with proxmox?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would like to install Proxmox on a 240GB SSD and there should be installed the VMs as well. Will this work?

Yep.

Is it possible to mirror HDDs like Raid 1 with proxmox?

Yep. Depending on what type of raid, you might have to do it from the command line.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hmm it doesn't sound very easy...

It isn't bad...

• hmm okay thanks, maybe I'll give it a try. Is this what the OMV-Raid does?

Does it make sense to build a Raid1 of it? Or should it be better/easier to backup the guests?
    Does Proxmox run on a USB-Drive or will it die?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this what the OMV-Raid does?

Yep

Does it make sense to build a Raid1 of it? Or should it be better/easier to backup the guests?

Up to you. It is pretty easy to backup the guests (even when running).

Does Proxmox run on a USB-Drive or will it die?

It will run on a usb drive. I have mine on an SSD. It writes about 1 GB a day on my proxmox setup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I make this Raid1 with the OS-Drive as well?

If you install Debian Jessie first.

• with proxmox you can install on ZFS raid 1 right from the installer. you do not need to install Debian first
    if you want to use mdadm than yes you will need go the Debian+proxmox way

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!