The recent Plex transcoding update/problem

• Hello guys.

I'm still having the main issue raised in a previous thread (files that require transcoding do not play). I've been through a few processes to get closer, and thought I'd share them here in case it helps someone.

Currently running OMV 2.25 on a purpose built amd64 build, 4gb ram, amd kabini.
    I use plex on:
    plex.tv (through browser on desktop pc)
    Plex app on Amazon fire TV 4k
    Plexbmc plugin via kodi on Amazon fire TV 4k
    Plex app on android phone

If I understand correctly, all of the above are set to transcode automatically, but I have set the Plexbmc plugin not to transcode unless it has to. Since this is my main way of using plex, I actually didn't know I had a problem until I tried watching transcoded media on my android phone. Currently, through all of the above methods of watching media through plex, nothing works except Plexbmc, presumably because it doesn't require transcoding.

I read through that whole thread recently, and thought I'd check which plex plugin I have installed from OMV-Extras. It turns out I was using 1.0.12. I saw advice here to use 1.0.15 but I couldn't find it!. Even when refreshing or rechecking through the plugins button under System->Plugins, only 1.0.12 was showing as an option. What I had to do was go to the OMV-Extras.org button under System->OMV-Extras.org and disable the plex repository, save then apply. Then do the opposite to re-enable it. Once I had done so, plex plugin 1.0.15 was now available for download

Next was to get the plugin. Having read through the thread, it seems the plugin has been edited by Tekkb (thank you) in order to fix the issues with codecs being put in a different location among other things. I understood that the problem could therefore be solved by disabling the plugin, then re-enabling it. I have downloaded 1.0.15, disabled then re-enabled it, though so far I still have the same problem. The next thing I've read here is Tekkb's advice to do a purge:

• Code
      apt-get purge openmediavault-plexmediaserver
      apt-get purge plexmediaserver
      userdel plex
      rm -rf /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d

I HAVEN'T done the above yet - happy to do so but just wanted to check it's the right thing to do.

Two other outputs seems to be requested often:

• Code
      ls -la /opt
      total 32
      drwxrwxr-x 8 root users 4096 Aug 29 23:14 .
      drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Jul 9 18:00 ..
      drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Nov 24 2015 couchpotato
      drwxrwxr-x 6 couchpotato users 4096 Nov 24 2015 couchpotato_old
      drwxr-xr-x 3 plex plex 4096 Aug 29 23:14 plexcodecs
      drwxrwxr-x 14 sabnzbd users 4096 Jan 7 2015 SABnzbd
      drwxrwxr-x 9 sickbeard users 4096 Jan 15 2015 sickbeard
      drwxr-xr-x 2 sickbeard users 4096 Sep 16 2015 sickbeard2

I presume you are looking to see whether plexcodecs are present under /opt, and there are as you can see. Also:

• Code
      dpkg -l | grep plex
      ii libmpc2:amd64 0.9-4 amd64 multiple precision complex floating-point library
      ii openmediavault-plexmediaserver 1.0.15 all OpenMediaVault Plex Media Server plugin
      ii plexmediaserver 1.0.3.2461-35f0caa-debian amd64 Plex Media Server for Linux

I hope this helps in some way. I presume you are going to ask me to delete the plex library and directories (after saving them somewhere else), purge plex using the 4 lines previously mentioned, reinstall plex from scratch, stop the plex service, copy back my original folder over the new one while overwriting everything, then restart the plex service. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

• SO there is an issue with the recent Plex media server? Im having an issue where everything is stuttering when i start to play something on my xbox client. I put this down to the recent dashboard update.

My issue is playing a film (which has worked previously) freezes for about 10 seconds after i start to play, it then jumps forward to where it should be then freezes again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!