OMV 3.0, ESXI 6.0 CPU usage percentage seems wrong

• I got my OMV installation set up. Got a Samba share created and dropped 35 GB worth of music on it. When I checked the CPU usage during the majority of the transfer it's pegged out at 100%. When I check CPU usage on my ESXI 6.0 host it's using 300 MHz out of my dual core Xeon processor (2533 MHz total available). I only gave the OMV VM 1 core but I thought it would use more than that, especially if the CPU on the OMV is pegged out at 100%. What's going on here?

• Offizieller Beitrag

100% doesn't mean the ESXi should give the guest more cpu than it is. You have a fast enough processor that ESXi only needs to give it 300 MHz. Why are you questioning this? Is the transfer rate slow? I maintain a lot of ESXi boxes at work and this is very typical.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I doubt this is specific to OMV... I've seen samba do this in VMs and on metal with larger transfers.... seems to suck down about as much of a single core as it can. I'd suggest giving it a second core, but I'd expect one to get saturated during big transfers.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!