Kernel Panic, OMV wont bootup

• Hey guys,

Untill last night my OMW that is installed on a USB that is working on a Nas i build was working fine,
    This morning i was not able to access WebGui but access to files was alright, after a restart the machine gave me the error
    Kernel Panic:not syncing : attempted to kill init! exit code=0x00007f00 ( attached a full image )
    i had a back up clone USB setup and the same thing cannot boot with same error,
    As i said the OMW is installed on USB stick, was working more then 4months,
    No changes was done this night and no power failure was.

Any ideas ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you didn't have flashmemory plugin installed, your usb stick is dead. You will have to restore from backup or reinstall.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you didn't have flashmemory plugin installed, your usb stick is dead. You will have to restore from backup or reinstall.

Could be, but i had a copy of the USB Stick that gives the same error, also i have saved a full image of the USB as an ISO and the same thing is happening when i try to boot from this image ( after i put it on USB )

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you run memtest on the system?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• The kernel panic is gone after filesystem recovery, but I've a hardware error now.

I plugged my USB-Stick with OMV (flashmemory installed) to my Ubuntu maschine and it did a filesystem recovery (logged in dmesg). I backuped a few files and then I tried to boot up my nas again. After that I got that hardware error. Does this mean, that my USB-stick is dead? If yes, how can that happen? Or what do you think?

Thank you for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does this mean, that my USB-stick is dead?

Good chance.

If yes, how can that happen?

The flashmemory plugin doesn't eliminate all writes. It just reduces them to common, heavy write folders.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I think it's strange, that my new bought USB-Stick is dead after about 40h running time.

Maybe it was partially bad from the start?? Or maybe something was writing to a directory not controlled by flashmemory??

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't wanna lost the info in the hard drives attached to the Pi4

You won't lose data on the hard drives. Just info on the SD card\usb stick..

• Offizieller Beitrag

without losing the data?

Yep. You will have to setup your users and shared folders and mount the filesystems again but you can pick existing folders on the drives. You might have permissions issues if you don't setup the users in the same order (get different ID) but you should be able to fix that with the resetperms plugin.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!