how to update/upgrade Odroid XU4 to omv v3?

• greetings guys

i am new to NAS and UNIX
    i have searched omv forums but haven't found any thing which helped me upgrade to omv v3
    i am trying to update/upgrade Odroid XU4 2.1.1 build (downloaded from sourceforge) to omv v3
    i have tried

Code
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade && omv-update
    omv-release-upgrade

but after omv-release-upgrade it gives some errors; sorry couldn't get the output - trying for the 4th time as i'm writing
    and when i rebooted, the omv webpage didn't load (ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT)
    haven't configured one single thing on v2
    tried multiple times with clean install but no success

can someone provide step-by-step instructions to update/upgrade to v3???

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-release-upgrade on armhf boards is not recommended. I can't make a new xu4 image because my xu4 is dead.

Start with this image - http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=17542

Then do this

Bash
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• sorry to hear your loss :(

i have tried omv on Debian Jessie
    it upgraded successfully, everything seemed perfect but it was not showing any of USB attached HDDs
    tried fdisk -l and all other solutions but my HDD's didn't showed up

trying with your link and will report back

• @ryecoaaron well i tried your link
    Debian Jessie got updated perfectly
    didn't installed anything below apt update and apt upgrade
    and after

Code
    apt-get install openmediavault

failed with error
    i have attached my term.log
    and even with omv-initsystem

Code
    omv-initsystem
    /usr/sbin/omv-initsystem: 24: .: Can't open /etc/default/openmediavault
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Don't move on to the next step if the previous one fails. Just sayin.

Try omv-mkconf collectd not sure if this will work if the openmediavault package didn't finish installing.

Then apt-get -f install if the previous command worked.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• @ryecoaaron well i have manage to successfully install omv v3 Erasmus
    don't know what happened and just ran apt-get install openmediavault and it completed without any error
    thank you for your assistance :)

one more thing i have a portable USB3.0 1TB HDD (single ext4 partition)
    i want to share the whole partition on SMB/CIFS (for Windows) and NFS (for Kodi devices on my network)
    how can i achieve this?

• I just tried this and got to the apt-get install openmediavault step when I got clobbered by a bunch of unmet dependencies. Also I have been encountering that my USB drive enclosure slips into read-only mode. I am using EXT4 file system. Perhaps I should reformat to XFS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The filesystem has nothing to do with dependencies. Why do you have any usb drive plugged in during installation?

• I used the pre-built Odroid Xu4 build (Wheezy/Stoneburner) you provided in another thread. Can I just do a dist-upgrade on that and then reattempt the omv upgrade?

The USB/EXT4 issue I encountered using the aforementioned build. I Googled around and encountered other folks running into this issue with other distros as well. I was wondering if it was because of EXT4 and if so, would an XFS filesystem solve the issue?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I just do a dist-upgrade on that and then reattempt the omv upgrade?

You can try. Since I don't have a working xu4, I can't really answer how well it will work.

I was wondering if it was because of EXT4 and if so, would an XFS filesystem solve the issue?

I don't see how the filesystem can cause dependency issues. So, in my opinion, xfs will not solve the problem. Where are these other posts you are referring to?

• The dependency problem is with the upgrade to Erasmus.

The other is a separate issue I have encountered. Here is a link that claims to have solved it but I am not sure how they did it.

http://raspberrypi.stackexchan…rive-changes-to-read-only

UPDATE:

apt-get dist-upgrade

did nothing. No error. However, it did give the following informational message:

The following packages have been kept back:
    openmediavault openmediavault-clamav php5-pam proftpd-mod-vroot
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm lost on where you are at. Did you change your sources to jessie and erasmus in the sources list files before apt-get dist-upgrade?

• I started with a pre-built Wheezy/Stonburner image you provided on another thread.
    I used the following commands:

However, the omv install failed due to lack of dependencies. That's when I asked about the dist-upgrade. I am not familiar with debian enough apparently. How do I change the sources to Jessie so I can dist-upgrade?

• Well that was a bust. So I decided to not be a bonehead and follow your instructions to the letter. I turned off the Odroid, pulled the microSD card and used Rufus to install the disk image you mentioned. Plugged it back in and powered the unit on and nothing happens. The fan spins and power light is on, but the NIC port does not light up. I had the USB3 drive enclosure powered down just in case. Did my XU4 just die?

UPDATE

Apparently my microSD card has been rendered useless. Paragon ExtFS for Windows cannot mount it nor does it appear in the Windows Disk Manager. Time to go get a new one.

• OK, new card arrived from Amazon and I successfully imaged it. odroid-jesse booted up fine. However, I can't SSH in as root. I saw on the article that root access via SSH is restricted. So, just to be clear, I have to connect a console, login as root and create a user with sudo rights, then I can SSH in?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or just change the setting in /etc/ssh/sshd_config that restricts root login.

• If I were to mount the microSD card on a Linux machine, would I be able to edit the sshd-config file to allow me to log in as root?

UPDATE:

This did not work due to permissions on the disk image. It was made by user #502 so I can't mount it with write privileges. I have no idea what to do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This did not work due to permissions on the disk image. It was made by user #502 so I can't mount it with write privileges. I have no idea what to do.

Use the root user.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!