Hello there !
I'm discovering NAS & OMV 3 as i'm setting up a HP proliant g1610t server.
Currently most of my media files are on my main windows computer :
- windows : 4to normal drive for videos, formated NTFS. Half way full. Other drives won't move.
- Gen8 server : ssd for system, 1x 3to NAS drive (formated ext4). Both are almost empty.
I'd like to buy other drives, 3 or 4tos, and add them to the Gen8 - I'll restart the installation from scratch if necessary.
Ideally, I'd like to have :
- HP Proliant Gen8 : ssd for system, 3x 3to NAS drive, 1x 4to normal drive.
On this server I'll run :
- OMV 3 + deluge,
- MotionEye (or ZoneMinder, but motioneye fits better with my raspberry pi cameras and doesn't require apache2),
- personal webserver (wordpress, display scripts for IoT stuff) - It's mostly a backup but I'll need it one day or another.
- some backup solutions for my work (I haven't read enough to pick one yet)
the disk usage would be :
- media (movies, music) : 3 to - expanding...
- data backup (work, pictures, misc, isos etc.) : max 1 to
- system backups : max 1 to
- motion (camera files) : max 1 to
- website : 1 gb
I have a TON of questions, but mostly :
- What kind of FS / raid / snapshot should I use ?
Should i separate the motion files (a lot of writes) from the media/backup files (very few writes & reads)?
- How do I safelly transfer my movies from the 4to NTFS formated drive if I plan to reuse the same drive in the final setup ?
Is it even possible whithout using another drive ?
Can I : create a pool/raid/whatever, copy the media files, add the 4to drive to the pool ?
PS. Sorry for the poor grammar, I read a lot of english but never write...