How to spotlight-index an AFP share - best methods?

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTW i got it working the search function, indeed it only works from the finder search bar, but.....you can do like spotlight, I tested a particular string from a document that i knew it was unique and the result came.

The mdutil output this when trying to enable spotlight

Code
    sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/jessie-share/
    Password:
    /Volumes/jessie-share:
    Error: unable to perform operation.  (-403)
    Server search enabled.

This testing was done using a debian jessie VM with GNOME desktop installed. So I haven't tested what would happen if i install tracker from apt, i don't want gnome desktop installed in my headless server.

• you'll have to build your own package of samba modifying the configure flags.

Do you think you'd be able to help with building the package (I don't really know how to go about this..)

i got it working the search function, indeed it only works from the finder search bar

This is great news! Is it necessary to install GNOME desktop in order to use the tracker? I was under the impression that the GNOME tracker could be used independently of any desktop etc.

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Offizieller Beitrag

Next step was to move to headless vm (Omv). Tracker doesn't call any desktop dependencies. So far so good....but problem
    Is this time there is no search content available only file name available. no idea what's going on. The two tracker meta.db are clearly different in size for a similar scanned folder, as the one from the desktop has all the inside words of docs. If I search inside the binary db I can see the strings from inside the docs.
    I've looked at the settings of tracker in dconf settings nothing different.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this time there is no search content available only file name available. no idea what's going on. The two tracker meta.db are clearly different in size for a similar scanned folder, as the one from the desktop has all the inside words of docs. If I search inside the binary db I can see the strings from inside the docs.
    I've looked at the settings of tracker in dconf settings nothing different.

To clear this, everything work fine after I elevated the RAM allocated for the VM, it was with 700MB the default for Vbox, after i put 2GB and everything went ok, even for search inside files. I can see in the logs that tracker is not able to index dwg cad files, kind of obvious. I haven't done deep metadata search like images resolution or other exif info.

Now, i'll leave the netatalk binaries build for debian jessie here (with spotlight support), use it at your own risk. You have to install tracker of course in your server. Add the spotlight directive in global not in shares.
    This has only being tested in plain debian jessie not debian-jessie plus omv, but there shouldn't be any problems

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7oh…VbkU8wXHFDLZklcT2pJa?dl=0

These were build using Adrian Knoth debianized repository from here

https://github.com/adiknoth/netatalk-debian

The debian/rules file was modified to include tracker support with

--with-tracker-pkgconfig-version=1.0 \
    --with-dbus-daemon=/usr/bin/dbus-daemon

The last line is to point to the correct dbus daemon binary used in debian.

• i'll leave the netatalk binaries build for debian jessie here (with spotlight support), use it at your own risk.

This is outstanding! It's brilliant that you took the time out to do this as, for me, your notes will really help with creating a more seamless integration with Mac OS!

not going to happen officially, you'll have to build your own package of samba modifying the configure flags. Then is just a matter of adding extra options

Is there any chance that you'd be able to do similar for Samba? I ask only because Apple seem to be preferring Samba over AFP thus any solution for Samba will scale well to future Mac OS updates etc. Second, Mac OS tends to screw up connects to the Nas - connecting via smb in some cases and afp in others. I've corrupted some sparsebundles because of Mac OS' confusion, which is why I'd prefer to stick with one primary protocol when connecting to OMV shares. Presently, I'm connecting via smb.

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do you mean by prefer? If you named both services the same, that can be a bit troublesome when browsing the network shares. Make sure you are using a different name for the AFP service, for example: 'MyNAS' for CIFS and 'MyNAS-AFP'. You can call them whatever you want as long as they are different, so you can see both services individually listed.

• What do you mean by prefer?

Apple have made it official that they will be preferring smb over afp in the future. Furthermore, smb is the protocol it chooses to use before afp. Should smb fail, it resorts to afp (MacOS Sierra).

If you named both services the same

Based on my research, this appears to be a bug in OS X. It autoconnects - sometimes to SMB and other times to AFP. I agree, it is clear to see which protocol it has connected to via the labelling (in the case of OMV3: NAS - SMB/CIFS (when smb), and NAS (when AFP). This is less clear when shortcuts to shares are used though.

This is actually a small point though. My main reason for thinking about SMB is to configure once for future implementations of OS X and primarily using one protocol (smb) opposed to both smb and afp simultaneously.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've already tried building samba from stretch in Jessie...fail. Samba is a massive package in comparison to netatalk. After hacking all dependencies version control I had an error in the build itself that I am not able to fix.
    I think it will be easier have omv running on stretch than trying to build Samba.
    Also notice If you read the spotlight samba wiki notice also that tracker needs to be configured separately, in the case of netatalk the binary does this automatically launching the store and miners once the directive is added. Much easier.

• Much easier.

Woah - brilliant that you gave samba a go! It saves me (and I'm sure others) from venturing into that particular rabbit hole.

Are there any concerns regarding data corruption with having my documents and photos shared via both afp and smb protocols? E.g. on Windows, I will make edits or changes via smb. On Mac via afp. I ask because I am considering to use afp on mac again as the spotlight-indexing from finder is certainly worth the effort

• Now, i'll leave the netatalk binaries build for debian jessie here (with spotlight support), use it at your own risk. You have to install tracker of course in your server. Add the spotlight directive in global not in shares.
    This has only being tested in plain debian jessie not debian-jessie plus omv, but there shouldn't be any problems

dropbox.com/sh/7ohsinegik3cklr…VbkU8wXHFDLZklcT2pJa?dl=0

What is the difference between netatalk_3.1... and libatalk18_... files on your dropbox? Should i be using both of these files?

I am little bit confused about this now. Look at this
    davidschlachter.com/misc/netatalk3rpi

btw - in terms of installing the appropriate package, I'm using the link that you referred to in which the guy set out explicit instructions - very helpful for someone who doesn't know much about navigating linux such as myself.

Is there anything in these instructions that you disagree with / I should change, when installing your package?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The package in dropbox is a debian package ready to install/desintall with all standard debian prefixes, he is using make install, go and try later to remove that binary from the system if you remember where everything went.
    Libatalk is the library, is a dependency of the netatalk package that has to be installed.

I made samba work with spotlight using Debian Stretch (rebuild samba with spotlight), works the same. However samba requires more configuration steps as netatalk configures tracker by itself when the daemon starts.
    There is no samba jessie backports unfortunately, it has been requested at debian but apparently no resources.

https://lists.debian.org/debia…rts/2016/05/msg00032.html

• I just had a read, that's a shame. I'm surprised at the responses tbh as from my understanding, Samba/Jessie is not fully compatible with Windows 10, which is a big no no for many people. Perhaps this will get resolved in the future..

The package in dropbox is a debian package ready to install/desintall with all standard debian prefixes

Okay, I will uninstall netatalk within OMV and then manually install the two debian packages.. hopefully the process will follow through reasonably smoothly :D

Any thoughts on my question re. data corruption when using smb and afp shares of the same source?

• Okay, I uninstalled netatalk from OMV and installed your two deb packages.

You have to install tracker of course in your server.

Sorry for the basic qu but what is the best way of doing this? "sudo apt-get install tracker" ? I noticed that the guy in the website installed several components: tracker tracker-explorer tracker-extract tracker-gui tracker-miner-fs tracker-utils

Any step by step instructions would be great..

• Offizieller Beitrag

Samba/Jessie is not fully compatible with Windows 10

It isn't? I used it everyday. samba 4.2 on Debian Jessie doesn't support the latest smb3.1.1 support but samba 4.3+ does. It still works well though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It isn't?

I may be misunderstanding the thread that subzero posted.. but.. from what I do understand, samba is buggy which is why those folks on the debian forum requested that backports be enabled on the latest version of samba - however, the debian guys said that they didn't have the time to work on it..

Tracker, minerfs and extract are necessary.

Thanks for this.. I'll install them with sudo apt-get install

• but samba 4.3+ does

I just re read the posts which refer to samba being buggy in windows 10, only to realise that those posts were referring to samba 4.1.x.

Any thoughts on my question re. data corruption when using smb and afp shares of the same source?

So I did a little research to answer my own question.. there are differences in the way MacOS Sierra will name files via afp vs. smb. This can corrupt data when working with smb and afp simultaneously from Windows and Mac respectively. This thread from a synology forum rants about it..

https://forum.synology.com/enu…hp?f=64&t=122975&start=15

This would explain why I lost an entire folder of photos (I think the "/" in the folder name caused it; luckily I had a backup).

So back to square one for me I guess as samba OS X spotlight support is available in only 4.3+

There is no samba jessie backports unfortunately, it has been requested at debian but apparently no resources.

I came across this: https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2016-May/199753.html
    Readme for latest backport (4.5.3): http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/README.txt

As only version 4.3+ is needed for spotlight and the link above has backported 4.5.3 to Jessie, is there no way to make samba spotlight to work for us in OMV?

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RS1 ()

• Zitat

RS1 wrote:

Readme for latest backport (4.5.3): http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/README.txt

As only version 4.3+ is needed for spotlight and the link above has backported 4.5.3 to Jessie, is there no way to make samba spotlight to work for us in OMV?

Hai, i have created a new packages with spotlight enabled in the build.

It was a quick rebuild from debian Stretch and i only tested the install of the package.

Found here : http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/
    Check the content of the samba-4.5.2-2-with-spotlight-enabled-EXPERIMENTAL folder
    I've included all needed files in the .tar.gz also. ( updated today) ( sorry forgot that yesterday )
    its an AMD64 build only.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!