Virtualbox 5.1.8 and kernel 4.9 error

• Offizieller Beitrag

All responses are assuming you are using OMV 4.x...

is it possible to build a newer version of Virtualbox?

Yep but stretch-backports has 5.1.30 in it (5.1.26 is the last I built). So, I didn't think I needed to keep building them. 5.2.4 is only 3 builds newer than 5.1.30.

PhpVirtualbox is also getting updated to work with 5.2 in the Github repository:

But no releases. So, that is why we aren't using it. I don't want to deal with bleeding edge releases especially there are new developers making a lot of changes.

the plugin has some serious problems if VM's are stopped and started for a few times leading to crashes aborting all VboxHeadless processes

This is a problem with virtualbox itself not the plugin.

I did not have these crashes with the official Virtualbox packages for Debian in the past.

It is the same code. Debian just splits the code into multiple packages. And maybe it is a new bug introduced in the code?? Over the years, I have seen plenty of issues with the official packages too.

Now that Debian abandoned Virtualbox anyway

What makes you think that? 5.2.4 is in buster and sid - link. 5.1.30 being available in backports is pretty good too.

wouldn't it be better to use the official ones again?

Nope. The virtualbox repo has issues all the time. I can't put their packages in bintray's repos due to licensing. Their package includes everything and is no need to install the QT gui client on a headless system. The official packages have different names which means the plugin dependencies have to be updated with every minor release. And finally, for some reason the official packages are horrible to upgrade between major versions.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• But no releases. So, that is why we aren't using it

At least a RC is offered on Github. Sadly the original developer abandoned the project and new commits seem to be rather slow:

https://github.com/phpvirtualbox/phpvirtualbox/releases

This is a problem with virtualbox itself not the plugin.

Maybe it is best if I report it to Virtualbox directly then.

What makes you think that? 5.2.4 is in buster and sid - link. 5.1.30 being available in backports is pretty good too.

I was referring to this bug report:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=794466

But it is awesome to see it back in backports and in the main repository in future releases at least.

Nope. The virtualbox repo has issues all the time. I can't put their packages in bintray's repos due to licensing. Their package includes everything and is no need to install the QT gui client on a headless system. The official packages have different names which means the plugin dependencies have to be updated with every minor release. And finally, for some reason the official packages are horrible to upgrade between major versions.

I can understand that, it wasn't completely clear to me yet. I see the problems with upgrading all the time from the official repository if a VM is still running or even if only some process still runs. It leaves any package upgrades unfinished until Virtualbox is shut down and all its processes stopped.

Anyway, thanks for providing the plugin. I still like it very much and run a dozen or more VMs with it. It was the primary reason for using OMV for me after all.

• Offizieller Beitrag

At least a RC is offered on Github

I have been following the repo for a long time but I would rather use the stable release (even with the annoying message) than use the release candidate.

I still like it very much and run a dozen or more VMs with it. It was the primary reason for using OMV for me after all

I ran VMs on Virtualbox for years but once I started using Proxmox and ESXi, I would never go back. They are so much faster and less problematic than virtualbox.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would you run OMV itself in Proxmox?

Uh, yep and I still do run OMV in proxmox and ESXi both.

Performance is comparable to running on bare metal?

What do you mean by performance? Filesharing takes very little power and if the host is good enough to host virtual machines, it can probably still easily saturate gigabit. If you mean transcoding or some other cpu intensive operation then it is still probably good enough. I have no problem recommending proxmox or ESXi for OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!