Project Emergency Rebuild

• Ok time to redo my OMV server mainly used for extra storage and Emby unfortunately my original build has a smoker smell to it now. So I'm guessing it is on its last legs.

I've been looking all over here, googled and the Debian wiki pages trying to find out what Mobo is compatible without any luck yet. If you can point me in the right direction great or answer even better.

I am looking at upgrading to a Intel H270 chipset. I saw that is will work with the current beta 3.0 version of OMV and hopefully it goes better than my first experience with that build.

I was looking at a few boards but open to suggestions. Thus was one also looked a ASRock, MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte.

https://www.supermicro.com/pro…ore/H270/C7H270-CG-ML.cfm

Will have a Intel i5, 32 gb ram, 1 ssd and 4 2 Tb drives. The hard drives I already have.

But nothing is set in stone I am open to suggestions

Thanks for your help

• Generally speaking almost every motherboard is compatible. Just to be sure its wise to check the compatability before buying the board.

Best way to check if a board is compatible is to look for experience of that motherboard type + debian (since openmediavault is based upon debian). This should give plenty of results from forum users.

The otherway around your approach could be to find a forums/threads about self build servers, my build is based on a hardware suggestion from a group of tweakers in a long running thread specifically aboutlow energy consuming home servers.

Als pretty common are HP micro servers, the cheapest version delivers a motherboard, power unit and nice case for less then I would spend on only the board. And its a quality board. I don't own such hardware myself but will consider it on my next update. You can put in your own cpu + memory + drives its a barebone so to speak.

Hope this helps.

• Unfornately I am not finding a lot of information for newer motherboards. I have researched Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and ASRock and found little to nothing on the new chip sets for Kaby Lake processors. I could use a Skylake processor but they are almost the same price for both.

This is the motherboard I am looking at I know I will have to run OMV 3.0 and probably backport it.

ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 2 LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/Product…aspx?Item=N82E16813132935

And was going to pair it with either a Intel i5 7400 or 7500 but could also use similar Skylake CPU's as well.

I know maybe figuring how to make it work on my own but figured I might ask here first. I did see the H270 works on a ASRock.

• there are quit a few debian based reviews on the internet about this board, just read those

Well I have been looking for a couple weeks now. And can't find any.

Maybe you can tell me exactly what you are using to search. The closest I found was doing a search for Z270 + Debian using Google. I found a link to ASUS saying it would work with Fedora 25 and Ubuntu 16.10. Which means it will work with "Linux" but might be shakey with Debian to me. Debian is the most stable and secure but also the most temperamental of all the Linux Distros I have ever installed, even the new LMDE 2 has a few bugs to it.

I just searched http://forums.debian.net/search.php?keywords=z270 and got "No suitable matches found"

I did talk to Asus' "Tech Support" and Kamer assured me it would work. And you know he would know... <<<*Insert sarcasm here*

If you could help me out with what you are using to do your searches that would be great. I don't mind researching things but I'm not finding much that is useful yet.

• It's ALIVE!!! Well kind of... I need to back up everything and finish getting parts with the quickness I think though.

It was very grumpy after I replaced the psu. But it's functional for now

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!