Building OMV automatically for a bunch of different ARM dev boards

• Offizieller Beitrag

Done.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @ryecoaaron last three images to upload:

That's now all the GbE enabled boards Armbian currently supports in a stable branch...

Browsing through the forum, I haven't found an explanation on why 3_0_91 isn't available for the Odroid line. Any plans for that or a link to a thread that explains what the issue might be?

Thanks in advance.

OMV 5.3.9 set up for RAID5 with (3) WD Red 4TB using repurposed Asus P8P67 i5-2500K 16GB

• Offizieller Beitrag

Browsing through the forum, I haven't found an explanation on why 3_0_91 isn't available for the Odroid line. Any plans for that or a link to a thread that explains what the issue might be?

Just install the 3.0.88 image and update from the Updates tab. Then you will have 3.0.91.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Just install the 3.0.88 image and update from the Updates tab. Then you will have 3.0.91.

As my signature shows, I'm already at 3.0.91. I'm still interested in knowing whether there is some issue with Odroid/XU4 going forward... I'm a simple minded guy who just likes knowing there's a (current) iso image to reload should things really go south at some point.

OMV 5.3.9 set up for RAID5 with (3) WD Red 4TB using repurposed Asus P8P67 i5-2500K 16GB

• Offizieller Beitrag

As my signature shows, I'm already at 3.0.91. I'm still interested in knowing whether there is some issue with Odroid/XU4 going forward... I'm a simple minded guy who just likes knowing there's a (current) iso image to reload should things really go south at some point.

No, there is no issue. We don't release a new image every time a new revision of OMV is released because there is no need. Sometimes there are improvements for some boards that justifies a new image. If you based things going south on the revision available, then 24 of the 28 arm images available would be going south since they aren't on 3.0.91.

• Just as a referene the summary what makes these OMV SBC images generated with Armbian's build system somewhat special: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…findComment&comment=44097

Edit: almost forgot to mention: All of ayufan's OMV images for ROCK64 also contain those relevant performance stuff (we added that a while ago already) so it's fine to choose his OMV images too :)

• Big thank's for every contributor to extend the base for openmediavault to all these nice arm boards! :)

I have big troubles to get the image OMV_3_0_90_Orangepipc2_4.13.10.img.xz running on my Orange Pi PC 2.

Right now the system is running an armbian without problems with original power supply and a shiny evo+ micro sd card.

Just to be sure I did the following steps (more than one time):

• Downloading the image + md5 / checking checksum manually (2+)
    • Checking the shiny evo+ micro sd card with f3 for errors (2+)
    • Writing & Verifying the image (using etcher) to micro sd (5+)
    • booting the image with network-cable attached and let it settle (5+)

And from here the result is always not nice. Often the device doesn't come up in my network. When it's available sometimes there is no webserver delivering the OMV-frontend. The other is that it's accessible but immediately starts throwing errors in the web interface (lost connection or something) and goes "offline" quite quickly.

I did this today again - as I did this a couple of weeks ago already. The results are the same and I never get the system running. Never able to access the system via ssh or get any logs out.

I wanted to try the way to use the armbian-debian base and converting it to OMV. But sadly there is only armbian-ubuntu based images available and I don't have resources to build my own armbian images.

Just to be sure I also downloaded the new OMV image for the Raspberry Pi 3 to try on this device... and it works directly ?(

I just want somebody to confirm that OMV_3_0_90_Orangepipc2_4.13.10.img.xz is working out of the box - because I'm running out of knowledge?

Thank's!

---
    Access denied. You are not authorized to view this page.

"This post will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a censor." - George Orwell X/

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Wasn ()

• Just to be sure I did the whole process with a diffrent sd card. I have the same results in the web-gui. communication erros -> offline.

I just wonder because there are a couple of downloads for the Orange Pi PC 2 and nobody complained?

"This post will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a censor." - George Orwell X/

• I downloaded the image, burned it on SD card with Etcher, inserted it into Orange Pi Zero Plus (I donated my PC2 already last year to another dev so can' t test on the hardware), booted, then 'apt update' followed by 'apt upgrade' followed by the mandatory reboot: sudo armbianmonitor -u

Works as expected, in a few weeks there will be a small performance bump via an update (cpufreq scaling and DVFS support then with 4.14 kernel)

• I downloaded the image, burned it on SD card with Etcher, inserted it into Orange Pi Zero Plus (I donated my PC2 already last year to another dev so can' t test on the hardware), booted, then 'apt update' followed by 'apt upgrade' followed by the mandatory reboot: sudo armbianmonitor -u

Works as expected, in a few weeks there will be a small performance bump via an update (cpufreq scaling and DVFS support then with 4.14 kernel)

Thank's tkaiser for your reply. Was your test performed with a display attached and did you manually executed 'apt update' & 'apt upgrade'?

I did it unattended and just waited till the web gui came up. This is the way I used to.... but I think I will find a display and some keyboard for my next run!

BTW: DVFS and kernel 4.14 sounds great!

• Was your test performed with a display attached and did you manually executed 'apt update' & 'apt upgrade'?

No display (there's not even HDMI on the board I tested with). I waited 3 minutes for the automatic reboot, then accessed OMV's web UI to enable SSH and did the next step through network/SSH.

I've really no idea whether these OMV builds for H5 boards (or any Allwinner 64-bit boards) currently display anything via HDMI or not. They should be fully useable via network and if this doesn't work you need serial console anyway (but this is a bit out of OMV scope and more something for Armbian forum)

• No display (there's not even HDMI on the board I tested with). I waited 3 minutes for the automatic reboot, then accessed OMV's web UI to enable SSH and did the next step through network/SSH.
    I've really no idea whether these OMV builds for H5 boards (or any Allwinner 64-bit boards) currently display anything via HDMI or not. They should be fully useable via network and if this doesn't work you need serial console anyway (but this is a bit out of OMV scope and more something for Armbian forum)

I didn't tried with a display attached but I gave a couple of more shots to track the source of failure.

What I can say at this point: the network goes (completely) down in any state (no matter of the web gui or ssh is used or not) after a short period when the device is powered. I also changed the network cables and position in the network (from switch to router) just to be sure there is no poison from there.

One time I was fast enough to enter the web-gui and add a ssh user (half way, because while applying the configuration connection was lost). And after a hard reset (taking off the power supply) I was even able to enter via ssh for half a second (before I was kicked/the host went down)

In the next step I will build a dedicated network to see if the failure is reproducible.

Are there by change any logs written to sd card which I could recover to get some information why the system goes offline?

• I don't know how and why but after a power circuit I was able to enter the system via ssh without getting kicked right away:

I did a 'sudo apt update' followed by a 'sudo apt upgrade' and there are some not that nice looking messages from syslogd@orangepipc2:

followed by a: Y

The message is too long, must be under 10,000 characters. :cursing:

• and a couple of working upgrades it ends with this:

and out... :/

• One time I was fast enough to enter the web-gui and add a ssh user (half way, because while applying the configuration connection was lost). And after a hard reset (taking off the power supply) I was even able to enter via ssh for half a second (before I was kicked/the host went down)

Quoting the readme.txt at the download location:

Code
    - OMV installation finalizes itself at first boot (network connection
        needed!) Please be patient since this can take up to 15 minutes.
        When done the board automatically reboots once and afterwards OMV
        is ready to be used

That's the simple reason you 'got kicked out', the system reboots one time automatically and is ready afterwards.

What you experienced later is either SD card crappiness or insufficient powering: https://forum.armbian.com/anno…other-people-experiences/

There's nothing OMV or Armbian can do for you since software is not able to run on isufficient hardware :)

• Writing & Verifying the image (using etcher) to micro sd (5+)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Etcher on Linux was broken until yesterday. The one and only feature why everyone should use Etcher (verifying after writing and therefore spotting broken SD cards that corrupt data) never worked when running the Linux version.

This has been fixed yesterday so everyone wanting to use Etcher on Linux has to upgrade now!

• I did let it settle down before. It was already after the first restart. The SD card crappiness should be not be part of my solution (real samsung evo(+) cards recently checked for corruption with f3write/f3read). As my power supply should be more than sufficent (5V,3000mA from xunglong himself!), but I also checked with a second power supply - just to be sure.

I running a bunch of SBC and I'm knowing the typical failures. But this here is non typical - for sure ;)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Etcher on Linux was broken until yesterday. The one and only feature why everyone should use Etcher (verifying after writing and therefore spotting broken SD cards that corrupt data) never worked when running the Linux version.

This has been fixed yesterday so everyone wanting to use Etcher on Linux has to upgrade now!

But this one here could be the show stopper! I just downloaded the most recent version (1.2.1) and give the thing a new run. Stay tuned!

• This post will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

So everything new from scratch. Now burned the sd card with the most recent etcher (1.2.1). There (still) where no errors when doing this.

This time I provided a 'lab'-network with only a router and my client to access OMV.

Still I have exactly the same failures and errors like observed before.

This time I could capture a Error while trying to log into the web gui of OMV:

And once I was able to ssh to the device (interesting that the web gui lost connection exact like the last when applying the new user) I found out that the system-load was extremely high.

Even though after login the system went away seamlessly and I couldn't enter any command... ;(

Does anyone know by chance what these messages mean?

Bash
    Message from syslogd@orangepipc2 at Oct 29 16:58:04 ...
     kernel:[  305.614130] Code: 942244ae 37f800b6 91010280 940028f3 (f94037a0)

Maybe it's a hardware failure?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Wasn ()

• So I tracked it down even more (even though a little tricky). But I think the system does not reboot successful or doesn't finish it's automatic setup.

If I put the newly written image into the system and directly try to access the webgui from omv it get's direclty deliverd. I don't log in and do nothing - just wait. Then after a while (20+ minutes) the system is gone from my network. Not accessible by web nor by IP. Looks like it's was falling out of the network - even though the green light on the board is on, so maybe the system is running.

Is there any way to see if the initial setup is complete from the content from the sd card? I wonder now if the first setup is running successful...

• And the journey goes on.

This time I was able to catch a 'sudo armbianmonitor -u' before doing a 'sudo update' followed by a 'sudo upgrade' where the system freezes while downloading.

I just see a lot's of internal errors like this one:

Bash
    [   17.716488] [0000000000000060] *pgd=0000000075694003, *pud=0000000074ea3003, *pmd=0000000000000000
    [   17.716497] Internal error: Oops: 96000006 [#1] SMP

and many more...

Can't tell what it is and why it's there... hardware fault?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!